Chapter 46

-: 3rd Person POV :-

His eyes zoomed to the vast stretches of greenery, the evening temperature steadily dropping down. Cold breeze nipped at his skin, spreading goosebumps on his body as he clenched the the glass in his hands. So tightly, that it cracked under his palm's pressure.

But he was lost. Guilt, rage and helplessness consumed his soul. His heart clenched painfully in his chest, and his nerves were on fire. Regret hadn't ever devoured him to this extent.

His eyes were whispering a different story, the scenes of that incident still hazy in his brain. He couldn't bring himself to look at the mirror. Remorse wasn't something he was accustomed to, specifically in his line of job. He had killed, tortured and mutilate incalculable number of men. Neither he was ashamed of it, nor did he ever regretted it.

But this, this was something he had never even thought of doing in his worst nightmares. Not once, but twice he went against his morals, his beliefs and committed two heinous crimes.

The slivered glass sank into his palms, as her last image flashed in front of his eyes. Tears were threatening to fall, but he craned his neck up and gazed at the orangish glow of the dusky sky.

His tears weren't worth anything. Not atleast in compared to the pain she was going through. And it was entirely his fault, that they were stuck in this.

Both of them were suffering in an endless loop of a never-ceasing game. Both were mere pawns, who would perish at the force of the opposite side.

They could have been happier, together. But to rectify his first mistake, he committed the second. He was ashamed of the first act, and he wanted to makeup for it. But now, it utter chaos.

He wanted to erase every memory of her. The loving smile, her laughter, her twinkling eyes. But most preeminently her tears, her anguishing cries and those bruises he had left on her delicate body.

Her tears were etched in his memory even to this day. Nightmares haunt his sleep, repentance gnawed his skin

Only if forgetting her could bring him a little solace. But he knew, peace wasn't something he was going to get so easily, specially after how brutally he raped ...

Exhaling a broken shallow breath, he clenched his jaw and smashed the broken glass on the floor, a painful growl breaking out from his throat.

The already broken glass splintered into hundred of tiny pieces and scattered all around him. Each and every piece resembling his shattered heart.

Wrenchful sobs broke out from his mouth, as he stably grabbed his chest to ease the dull throb. Was it really there, or the pain was just a fragment of his imagniation ... he didn't know. But he was sure of one thing.

If the truth ever came out, he was a dead man. He had not only committed the brutal crime of raping a girl, but there was also another one. Something which scared him to his bones.

Betrayal would pay him hard ...

*******

-: CHASE :-

(11 days later)

A burning sensation ran down my throat as I voraciously gulped down the whiskey, directly from the bottle. My phone was continuously vibrating somewhere in the room, but I was beyond the point to search for it and receive that call.