Chapter 40

The night was dark, and the moon was hiding behind the cloud. It was pitch black outside the room, and the cold breeze was howling on the other side of the window.

Axel stood infront of it, his hands interlaced on his back, gazing at the starless sky. His sister, Victoria was lying on the bed, curled up in a fetus position.

Axel's eyes were blazing with the fire of revenge. The fire so fierce, that it wouldn't douse until he see the almighty Chase Morgan on his knees. He  wanted Chase's blood, and his fingers curled up in a fist in rage.

"Axel." A soft whimper left Victoria's mouth and his face snapped back towards the bed. He hastily stormed towards it, and sat down beside Victoria, gently caressing her hair.

"It's okay Vicky. Don't cry. The pain will subside. Just lie down," he cooed his little sister and kissed her forehead. Seeing her in that pathetic condition was bone wrecking for him.

She sniffled and moaned out in pain, and her hand caressed her swelled up belly.

"Take deep breaths. Come on, in and out. Slowly." Axel gently held her hand, and Victoria tried to match her brother's breathing rhythm.

"Yes, just like that. Do you want me to massage your toes. Are they paining too?" Axel asked, his eyebrows furrowed in worry.

Victoria shook her head, and licked ber lips trying to stay calm. It had been dicey 8 months, and the threat was still hanging. She could die any day, and her life was at constant risk.

"No, they aren't aching today. But can you please caress my belly a little. I feel very uneasy today," She pleaded, her voice barely reaching his ears.

Axel gulped down audibly and glared at her protuding belly. He had hated the child inside her, from the very fast day, cause he knew if her sister die one day, it would be because of the child.

"Don't Vicky. I can't touch it. I detest that thing," he growled out lowly, not aiming to hurt his sister's emotions. He didn't understand how could she be so attached with the child, which was literally causing her death. That too, a product of...

"Brother, don't say that. Please, the child would need you after birth. I don't know whether I would even be alive to see the face." Victoria voice cracked and Axel turned to look at her with grief etched on his face.

"Don't say that, little sis. I won't let anything happen to you. Trust you brother, he will take care of you," he kissed Victoria's crown and she nodded feebly.

"I know you will, but promise me you will take care of this child too. Please Axel, promise me," she begged, but Axel shut his eyes and turn his head away.

Slowly taking his hand, she placed it on her swelled up stomach. The moment his hand touched her stomach, Axel felt a strong kick against his hand. His face whirled around and he touched her belly with more urgency with his other hand too. His eyes widened and a look of awe adorned his face, when he felt another kick.

"Isn't it a miracle?" Victoria asked, with a gentle smile on her face and her eyes glistened with unshed tears.

Axel licked his lips, and pried away his hand slowly from Victoria's belly. He didn't want to admit that he felt something for the baby too. An unnamed emotion. He gently started caressing his sister stomach and she sighed out in pure bliss. Within a few minutes, her eyes fluttered shut and Victoria drifted off to sleep.

Axel ducked his head, kissed Victoria's forehead softly and whispered his words in the silence of the night. The rage and balding anger wouldn't subside in him, until he destroyed the man who was responsible for this of his sister