The Type Of Girl You Fight For

Bucky had spent weeks trying to figure out what to do about Ellie.

He knew could ruin everything or get everything he had never hoped to ask for.

Bucky had always been a risk taker. He was always the type of guy to take the leap even if he wasn't sure where he was going to land but he couldn't take risks with her.

He was thinking once more about her as he stared out his kitchen window.

"What's so interesting out there?" His mom interrupts his thoughts.

He looks back at her and gives her a small smile.

"Nothin, just thinkin is all," Bucky says.

His mom sits across from him.

"Anything I can help you think about?" She asks.

Bucky hesitates. He doesn't know how to put into words how he's feeling but if anyone knows how to help, it's his mom.

"There's a girl," Bucky says.

"You've never had trouble with girls in the past," she says.

"It's not a girl, it's the girl," he admits.

Winifred is shocked. She never knew her son could he so serious about a girl. She figured one day, years down the road, some brave girl would rope him in, but not now. He had just turned seventeen for goodness sakes. Sure, she knew that lots of kids got married straight out of high school but she never figured James would be one of those kids.

"Must be a special girl to work you all in a tizzy," she responds.

"She's the most amazing girl in the whole world. She's so beautiful and kind and smart but I dont know if I'm good enough for her," he responds glumly.

"You put this girl up on a pedestal but you're no slouch either James. When you dedicate yourself to something or someone, you put your whole heart into it. Look at how close you've got to the Rogers twins over the years. You decided you were going to be their friend and you stuck with them through thick and thin. I know that if you're serious about this girl, that you'll be all she needs and more," Winifred says.

Bucky ponders her answer for a moment before asking another question.

"What if I put my whole heart into it and it isn't enough? What if I lose her completely? Wouldn't it be safer to keep her in my life as a friend than not at all?" Bucky asks.

She finally put together who her son was talking about. She's honestly always figured they'd end up here.

"Do you love her?" She asks.

He doesn't even hesitate.

"Yes,"

"Love is sometimes worth the risk. How many epic love stories would have never even started if they weren't willing to take the plunge," she says.

"Maybe I should give it a chance," Bucky says.

"You can't just leave this to chance James. Now, this is going to take everything you have got. It's going to take a lot of time and attention and perseverance but if this girl is the one, you have to work for it," she says.

Bucky gets up from the table and hugs his mom.

"Thanks ma," Bucky says.