I'm Not Coming Back

Ecuador was the closest that Howard could get in tracking down Bucky but it would have to do. Peggy fought against Steve initially but one look at Lizzie's broken form, she knew that they would both do whatever it took for her happiness. Peggy had tried to convince him to let her go with him but someone needed to stay with Lizzie and she was pregnant.

Steve leaves New York the next day and is flown by Howard to South America. Steve wishes he spoke Spanish so he didn't stick out as much but at least they probably know less about Captain America here.

He knows that Bucky won't be in a heavily populated area and he knows that he'd have to have some kind of job. A job that pays under the table and doesn't ask any questions.

He suddenly misses Sam because at least when he was searching for Bucky before, he had a teammate with him, a friend with him.

Steve soon had been in South America for almost a month. He was losing hope because for all he knew, Bucky has caught on that Steve is following him and fled the country. He knows he can't stay much longer or else he'll miss the twins' birth and he won't be there for Lizzie.

He doesn't know what Peggy told Lizzie about his absence but he knows that Lizzie will work it out almost instantly. Where else would Steve go but to track Bucky down?

He decides to give it one more day and if he can't find him, he's going to go home.

He was talking to an older man who luckily speaks English who runs a construction company. Steve was pretending to be interested in a job to talk with him.

"What's with all you Americans in Ecuador? I hadn't met a single American my entire life and suddenly two want to start working for me," he says.

"Two?" Steve asks.

"Yes, hired him about three months ago. He's really strange though, he never takes off a long sleeve and gloves but he's strong and a hard worker," he says.

Steve knows that he is talking about Bucky. That means that he's found him.

Steve briefly describes Bucky to the man to make sure.

"That definitely sounds like him," the man says.

"He's actually an old friend of mine. Do you think you could direct me to where he's staying?" Steve asks.

The man directs him to a little shack that sits near the water. It's really small but definitely something that Bucky would hide in.

Steve doesn't know how to proceed. He could just knock but that might give him time to run or he could break in but that might cause a fight.

He decides to knock because he doesn't want to make him defensive at the get go. He knew he had to make Bucky listen to him.

Steve goes up and knocks on the door. He hears slight movement in the house so he knows that Bucky's home.

When Bucky hears a knock on his front door, he freezes. At first he wonders if he's been discovered and Hydra has come to take him back, but he knows that they wouldn't be knocking. Still, he grabs a gun and holds it behind his back as he opens the door.

He is surprised when he opens the door but he really shouldn't be.

"Steve?" Bucky asks.

"Hi, Buck," Steve says tiredly.

When Bucky doesn't respond, Steve continues.

"Can I come in?" Steve asks.

Bucky immediately knows what this is all about and he doesn't want to hear it.