The Only Logical Explanation

Lizzie was out shopping one day when she ran into none other than Rebecca Barnes. It has been a couple years since she last saw Rebecca. She tried to stay in touch after Bucky disappeared but it was too painful to look at her and see the resemblance. She still feels guilty for falling out with Rebecca because they were once good friends.

When she first spotted her, she hardly recognized her. Rebecca has definitely grown up in the last few years. It isn't until Rebecca calls out to her that she realizes that it's her.

"Lizzie?" Rebecca asks in surprise.

"Becca?" Lizzie responds.

Rebecca surprises Lizzie by walking up to her and giving her old friend a big hug. Little does Rebecca know that she is not only hugging an old friend but also her sister-in-law.

Rebecca was hurt when Lizzie cut her out but she understood. Losing Bucky was hard on all of them and they each had to move on in their own way. Lizzie couldn't move on with reminders of him everywhere.

"How have you been?" Rebecca asks.

Obviously Lizzie can't tell her how she really is. She knows Rebecca can't know a thing about Bucky and Steve being alive. It would be too dangerous for her and for everyone else.

"I've been good. I moved out of my house in Brooklyn and am living upstate now. I also started working for Stark Industries a few years ago. What about you? How's Jack and Charlie?" Lizzie asks.

"Jack is doing well, he's been promoted recently which has been really good. Charlie is about to turn nine which is insane. We have two new kids named Ruth and William and a fourth actually on the way," Rebecca says.

Rebecca isn't showing yet so obviously she is early in her pregnancy. It brings back the memory of when Lizzie confirmed Rebecca's first pregnancy and all the chaos that followed. They've come a far way since that day.

"Congratulations, Rebecca. I'm so happy that you are happy. How are your parents?" Lizzie asks.

Rebecca's smile falls at the question and she knows that something bad has happened.

"Mom died a couple years back and dad hasn't been the same since. He drinks a lot so we stopped bringing the kids by but I try to visit him when I can," she says.

Her mother-in-law was gone and she didn't even know it. Bucky's mother always supported their relationship and she was so grateful to have such a loving woman in her life.

She knows that she is going to have to break the news to Bucky and she doesn't know how he'll take it.

She's so worried about telling Bucky that she doesn't realize that she is anxiously twisting her wedding ring.

Rebecca's attention is brought to the ring. At first Rebecca is surprised because Lizzie never brought up being married but as she examines the ring closer, anger washes over her.

Her wedding ring is the same one that Bucky gave her so many years ago. She is wearing her grandmother's ring for another man.

"Really? You're okay with disrespecting my brother's memory by marrying another man with our family ring?" Rebecca asks angrily.

Lizzie realizes the conclusion that Rebecca must have come to and goes to defend herself but then stops because there's nothing she can say. She can't negate Rebecca's assumptions because she would have to tell her the truth and she can't do that so Lizzie remains silent.

"You're not going to say anything? When my brother died we let you keep that ring because he gave it to you. He loved you so much but obviously that doesn't mean much to you. I should be glad my brother never got to live to see what you are. You had all of us fooled but I guess you didn't cut us out because we reminded you of Bucky, maybe you cut us out so you wouldn't have to face the shame of your betrayal. Keep the ring, it's tainted now anyways. I pray that I never see your face again. Goodbye, Elizabeth," Rebecca says coldly before leaving Lizzie.