No Unnecessary Risks

Steve and Lizzie spent their last day together like any other day. They didn't go out or do anything special. They just wanted one more normal day before everything fell apart.

They sat in the living room with the radio on and they both sketched each other. They both sat in comfortable silence for awhile, just enjoying each other's company.

"If you could have one wish, what would you wish for? Steve asks.

Lizzie puts down her pencil and really thinks about what she would wish for.

"It sounds cliche but world peace," Lizzie says.

"World peace?" Steve asks.

"It's the most selfish and unselfish wish I could ask for. If the world is peaceful, then there will be no reason for you and Bucky to be gone. In addition, everyone else would be happy," Lizzie says.

He never fails to be astounded by how kind and clever his sister is. She loves so deeply that it is unlike anyone he's ever seen before. Lizzie is just so good that it's addicting to be around her. Steve knows that it's impossible not to love her once you get to know her, to know her is to love her.

"I don't say it enough Liz but I am so proud of you. After all the loss and suffering we've been through, you still manage to want to save the world. All your pain never turned you bitter and I am so so proud of you for that," Steve says.

Lizzie gives him a small smile because everything he just said describes him too.

"I think I get it from my brother. He's compassionate and brave and I aspire to be just like him," Lizzie says.

He reaches out and holds onto her hand.

"When Bucky and I get back, I want to go on a trip," Steve says.

She's a little surprised at his confident statement.

"When you get back?" Lizzie asks.

"Yes, when we get back. I have faith that everything is going to work out in the end," Steve says.

He really isn't that confident in the chances of both of them surviving the war but he needs something to look forward to to get him through the coming days.

"Where do you want to go?" Lizzie asks.

Steve thinks for a second about where he would want to go. The twins have never left Brooklyn before and he had to think about what he wanted to see that he couldn't see in New York.

"I think I want to see The Grand Canyon. We're city kids and I feel like that would really be something to see. We don't get much nature here unless you count Central Park," Steve says.

Lizzie can see what Steve means. The Grand Canyon is something that can not be replicated and it would truly be a marvel to see.

"Alright, we'll go to The Grand Canyon when we get back. I have to warn you though, Bucky and I already promised to get married the second he gets off the boat so we might have to delay a couple days," Lizzie admits.

Steve is surprised, he thought that they would wait until she got her doctorate degree but he guesses that with her program getting delayed, they wouldn't want to wait any longer.

"Do you think it'll be strange for me to give you away and be best man?" Steve muses.

"I don't think anything in mine and Bucky's relationship has been conventional so I wouldn't worry all too much about it," Lizzie says.

Steve wants nothing more in that moment then to be there when his twin gets married. He prays that he gets to see his twin marry their best friend. They are the two best people that Steve knows and they deserve that happiness.