We Were Lucky To Have You

There was a certain feeling of nostalgia as the trio enjoyed Christmas Eve together.

For years, they had a hard time figuring out their dynamic as a group. When they were all just friends, Bucky had felt like Lizzie belonged to Steve. She was his friend but it felt like a friendship of convenience. Then Lizzie and Bucky got together and Steve felt like he was giving Lizzie away. It wasn't until the last couple years that they figured out that they all belong to each other.

There was no outsider because they all belonged to each other in different ways.

They all were very aware that this could be the last Christmas together and that put them in a very reminiscent state.

"Do you remember the time where you snuck Steve and I out of class?" Bucky asks.

"I still can't believe I let you guys talk me into doing that. That's the only time I ever broke the rules I'll have you know," Lizzie says.

"He talked you into it, I just went along with it," Steve interjects.

"You should both be thanking me, we had a great day," Bucky says.

"That we did," Lizzie admits with a small smile.

Bucky had convinced them to all skip a day of school. It was Lizzie's job to break them out because all the teachers would trust her to tell the truth.

She was so stressed out that she can't even remember the lie she told but it worked and she got them both out of class.

They didn't even do anything all that exciting. The excitement came from ditching school but they just spent the whole day together. They just walked around New York and ate hot dogs and ice cream.

They even pooled their money and took photos at a photo booth. They could only afford one set so the each have a single picture from the strip.

Lizzie's is set in the corner of the mirror in her's and Bucky's room. Steve's is in a box in his room with a bunch of other memorabilia. Bucky never leaves the house without his because it's always in his wallet. It has been in his wallet since they took the picture near ten years ago.

The evening quickly passes and soon enough, Steve decides it's time to leave.

Bucky and Lizzie walk Steve to the door but he doesn't leave right away.

They all look at each other and realize that this may be the last Christmas they will have together.

Bucky grabs on to each of the twins and pulls all of them into a hug. They all hold onto each other and hope this isn't the last time.

"I love you both," Steve says.

"We love you too, Merry Christmas Stevie," Lizzie says.

"Merry Christmas, pal," Bucky says.

"Merry Christmas," Steve says with a sad smile.

He leaves with one last wave over his shoulder.

When the door shuts, Bucky pulls Lizzie closer into his embrace and rests his chin on her head.

"Meeting you and your brother has been the biggest blessing of my life," Bucky admits.

"And we were lucky to have you," Lizzie says.

Bucky looks down at her and pecks her quickly on the lips.

"Let's go to bed," he says.

The next morning, they wake up and head downstairs for breakfast. They wake up pretty late so Lizzie decides to make a big brunch.