The Right Choice

The five of them were celebrating by the lake when Howard turns to Steve and Peggy.

"You guys next? I'm a really good officiant and who knows when I'll be available for a later wedding," Howard says.

Steve and Peggy look at each other and try to determine what the other is thinking.

Steve knows he'd marry her right now if she'd allow him to, but he doesn't know how she feels.

"We couldn't possibly steal the spotlight on Barnes' and Lizzie's day," Peggy says.

Lizzie is not letting Peggy use her as a scapegoat. If she doesn't want to get married, that's fine, but she's not going to let Peggy hide behind her.

"I don't mind, do you mind, love?" Lizzie asks Bucky.

"Nope," Bucky responds popping on the p.

"I don't have a dress and we don't have rings. We aren't even engaged," Peggy adds.

"I'll be right back," Lizzie says suddenly.

Lizzie runs off back to the car and they all look at her in confusion.

When she returns, she has a garment bag and two boxes. She tosses one of the boxes to Steve and retakes her spot next to Bucky.

Steve opens the small box and sees his mother's engagement ring inside. He looks at Lizzie and she gives him a wink.

Steve knows that Peggy might say no. They haven't been back for very long but he wants to marry her more than anything and he doesn't want to miss out just because he didn't ask. Steve decided to take a risk and drops to one knee.

Peggy gasps because this is all moving so quickly and she is trying to catch back up.

Steve grabs Peggy's hands in his.

"Peggy, I've known since we met that you were a phenomenal woman. You are brave, smart, and so beautiful and I never thought a girl like you would go for a guy like me. Now that we are together again, I don't want to wait because I know what I want, I want you. I want you in whichever way you'll allow. It doesn't matter to me if we get married today or down the road but I want to marry you more than anything. Will you marry me?" Steve asks.

Peggy knows in that moment that she's never going to love anyone like she loves him. They are completely and utterly devoted to each other. Marriage always seemed so scary but standing there on that dock with the love of her life kneeling before her and offering her the world, there really is only one answer.

"Yes," she says.

Steve quickly stands up and presses a soft kiss to her lips before pulling back. He reaches for her hand and slides the ring on her finger.

Peggy then turns to Lizzie who has been watching the exchange with a wide smile.

"How long have you had all this planned?" Peggy asks.

"Honestly, I didn't plan on bringing it up today even though I hoped for it. I just wanted to be prepared in case someone got any romantic notions," Lizzie says.

Peggy eyes the garment bag and the remaining ring box.

"You bought the dress I tried on?" Peggy asks.

"It was perfect and I wanted you to have it when the time came," Lizzie says.

Howard looks between the four of them.

"So are we doing this today? Or..." Howard says.

Steve looks to Peggy because she's calling all the shots and he's just following her lead.