What Are You Doing Here?

The next few months were both very busy and very lonely for Lizzie.

Peggy had left for Europe for the time being to help facilitate the removal of US troops from Europe and make sure that the war is truly over.

Luckily, Lizzie was very busy both working at the hospital and Stark Industries.

She loved the job at Stark Industries. She was worried about what Howard's employees would think of her background, or lack there of, but once she proved herself, they were all willing to apply her ideas.

She has also really enjoyed working with Howard. He's not afraid of telling her when he doesn't think something will work but he also encourages her to think out of the box.

One day, she is sitting in Howard's office having lunch when he brings up a topic she never thought he would.

"Okay, were you ever going to tell me you were Steve's sister?" Howard asks.

"How do you know about Steve?" Lizzie asks in shock.

"My technology helped make him what he became. I assumed that Peggy had already informed you about my involvement," Howard says.

She had no idea that he was partially responsible for Steve's transformation. Steve nor Peggy ever mentioned that fact.

"I honestly didn't know you knew him. I would've mentioned something earlier if I did. I don't like talking about him for obvious reasons," Lizzie says.

Howard understands that. It must be hard to talk about your dead brother.

"Your brother was a good soldier and a great man. He was probably the best man I've ever known. I was glad to be able to call him a friend," Howard says.

If Howard had met Steve, he might've met Bucky.

For some reason, Jaime was much harder to talk about then Steve. She really doesn't want to talk about him but her curiosity gets the better of herself.

"Did you meet Sergeant Barnes?" Lizzie asks.

She can tell from his expression that he did know him and he also knows his connection to her.

"I did, he was a great man as well. He was incredibly brave and extremely loyal," Howard says sadly.

Lizzie twists her engagement ring as she thinks about Bucky. She hasn't taken off the ring and she doesn't think she ever will. In her mind,
it is more a wedding ring than engagement ring because her and Jaime were so much more than just fiancés.

"He was all those things and more," Lizzie says.

"You really did love him, didn't you?" Howard asks.

"He was, is the love of my life. I would do absolutely anything to have him back but I can't, I never can. So all I can do is go through the motions and piece together what's left in my life to try to cover the holes that both of them left," Lizzie says.

Howard has never been in love. Maybe one day he'll find some girl who will put up with him but for now, he was dedicated to his work. Still, he was curious about what love felt like. Usually he was very active in pursuing his curiosities but he can tell that Lizzie won't want to dwell on the topic.

"I'm incredibly sorry you lost both of them and I won't make you talk about it anymore," Howard says.

"Thank you, Mr. Stark," Lizzie says teasingly.

Howard narrows his eyes in fake annoyance because she knows that he hates being called that.

"Call me that again and you're fired," Howard says.