You Owe Me Big Time

Bucky decides to leave Lizzie alone. Steve was right, forcing her to talk to him made it worse. He loves her enough to give her the space she needs. If she's happier without him, he will respect that, no matter how miserable he is without her.

He can tell that people know something is wrong with him. He still goes out with friends occasionally but has completely stopped dating. How could any girl compare to her?

He dreads the school year ending for once. At least at school, he can see her occasionally. He can see that she's safe and somewhat happy. He can tell that a lot of times she is faking her smile. He hopes that its because she misses him too but that's mostly wishful thinking.

Eventually the school year does end and Lizzie goes with it. He sees Steve almost everyday during the summer but he is no longer invited to The Rogers Sibling Cook Off Nights. He occasionally has dinner with Steve and Sarah but only on nights where they are sure Lizzie won't be home till late. He is incredibly lucky that Steve and his friendship survived.

Steve has had a hard couple months as well. Two of the people he loves most in the world are estranged and it's so hard to see. It reminds Steve of the months before Lizzie and Bucky became friends.

Steve forgave Bucky pretty quickly because he knows that Bucky hates himself for what he did. He knows his friend has a huge heart and he knows it kills him to have her hurt. Steve hates it because he loves and understands them both.

Lizzie puts on a smile and goes from day to day but she misses him. She reads and sketches. She goes on dates with Riley but Bucky is never far from her mind.

She has thought about going to him multiple times to try to work things out. In truth, she forgave him a long time ago but how do you go about fixing the pieces of a shattered foundation?

How do they go back to what they once were?

Before they know it, the twins' 16th birthday arrives. The twins talk about what they want to do but they decide they just want it to be them and Sarah.

They spend the day at the beach and when they get home, they find out Sarah had got them a cake. It had been so long since either of them had had a birthday cake. Sarah must have been saving so they could have this treat.

The twins exchange gifts later once Sarah had gone to sleep.

Elizabeth gets a set off colored pencils and Steve gets a book on The Great War.

Steve pulls out another package from underneath the couch and hands it to Lizzie.

"Steve, you know we have a one gift limit," Lizzie says disapprovingly.

"That ones not from me," Steve says.

Steve stands up and bends over to place a kiss on the crown of Lizzie's head.

"Goodnight Lizzie, happy birthday," Steve says.

"Happy birthday, Stevie," she responds but her eyes never leave the package.

She opens the package and it's a book.

Well, not just any book, it's a first edition copy of The Great Gatsby.

She opens the cover and a note falls out.

Dear Ellie,
Happy birthday. I hope you don't mind but I borrowed this book before I gave it to you. I never did like it as a kid but I thought I'd give it another chance. It definitely reads differently as an adult than a kid. I remembered when I read it as a kid, it made me hope that I never fell in love. Unfortunately, I now know we don't really get a choice when it comes to love. Reading it made me miss you more than I already do. I know you don't forgive me and this book isn't meant to guilt you in to doing that either. I'm giving it to you because it's your birthday and I want you to have it. Even if we never talk again, I want you to know, I'll always be there. I'll be there whenever you want me, wherever you want me, or how ever you want me. Just know that I love you Ellie and I always will.
Yours forever,
Bucky

By the time she finishes, she is balling.

God, she misses him.

She wants to bridge the gap so bad but she doesn't know how. Can things be fixed? Maybe they just need some more time. They both need to forgive themselves before they can forgive each other.

One good thing that happens that summer is Lizzie starts hanging out with Rebecca more. Rebecca is only 13 but she is incredibly mature for her age.

"What's going on with you and my brother?" Rebecca asks.

The pair was at the park reading on a blanket. Lizzie had the book Bucky gave her open with the note still tucked in the back unseen.

"Everything is still the same Bec. We still aren't talking," Lizzie says with a sigh.

"But have you forgiven him?" Rebecca asks.

Lizzie shuts her book so she can give her full attention to Rebecca.

"I think I forgave him a long time ago," Lizzie says.

"Then why are you still fightin?" Rebecca asks.

"We're not really fighting anymore, we're just not really talking either," Lizzie explains.

"Well that's just stupid if you ask me. Just talk to him. He misses you, you miss him, seems like a no brainer," Rebecca says matter of factly.

That is why Lizzie loves Rebecca. She doesn't mince words, she says what she means.

"He hurt me and then I hurt him by rejecting him. I just don't know how to move past all that," Lizzie says.

Later that day, Bucky is sitting at his desk, writing another letter to Lizzie that he knows he'll never send when Rebecca comes barging into his room.

"Ever heard of knocking?" Bucky asks as he quickly hides the letter.

Rebecca flops herself down on Bucky's bed.

"You owe me big time, older brother of mine," Rebecca says.

"Oh, yeah. What for?" Bucky says flatly.

"Well, I just spent the afternoon with a Miss. Elizabeth Rogers," Rebecca says with a cheeky smile.

Rebecca immediately has all of Bucky's attention with the single mention of Lizzie's name.

"Really?" Bucky asks.

"Yes and we may or may not have talked about you," Rebecca teases.

"Please, Becca," Bucky begs.

Rebecca can see the desperation in his eyes so she decides to put him out of his misery.

"Liz may have mentioned that she forgave you awhile ago but hasn't approached you because she doesn't know how to move past it. She doesn't know how to start the conversation. If you go to her, she won't reject you but you need to think of something good to get your relationship on track," Rebecca says.

Relief floods Bucky's chest as he realizes the implications of what Rebecca said. She forgave him. If he can find out how to bridge the gap, they can be together again. Maybe they can even be best friends again or maybe even... no he can't think about a romantic relationship right now. He needs her in his life and if it's only as a friend, so be it. The friendship comes first no matter how desperately in love with her he is.

"Well, I guess I better get to work then. Don't I Becca?" Bucky says with a smile.