Who Takes Care Of You?

Steve wasn't allowed to visit Sarah but they allowed Lizzie. She had to wear a mask and she couldn't touch her but she could at least talk to her.

"Hey, baby," Sarah says.

"Hey, mama," Lizzie says.

"How's Steve?" Sarah asks.

"He's doing okay. He's keeping up with his school work and eating," Lizzie says.

That was a lie but she can't very well tell her sick mother that her son was falling into bits.

"That's good. How are you sweetie?" Sarah asks.

She fully intended on being strong for her mother but she couldn't hold onto her tears.

"I'm not ready to lose you," Lizzie bawls.

They both knew that it was only a matter of time before Sarah succumbed to the sickness.

"We usually never are ready to lose the people we love," Sarah says.

Lizzie tries to compose herself.

"I'm sorry, I told myself I wouldn't do this," Lizzie says.

"You walk around being strong for everyone. You're allowed to be weak with me, I can take it," Sarah says.

"What am I going to do without you?" Lizzie says.

Lizzie's lip is wobbling and silent tears are streaming down her face.

"You're going to continue as you always have. You're going to take care of your brother and Bucky. You're going to go to school and awe everyone with your intelligence. You're still going to be the amazing girl I raised. I'm going to live on through you and Steve. You two are the best parts of both me and your father. You are both so good with such big hearts and I know you two are going to change the world. You and your brother are the best of us and I am so incredibly privileged to be your mom," Sarah says.

"You're the best mom I could've ever hoped for. Steve and I wouldn't be who we are without you," Lizzie says.

"My biggest regret is not being around more to see you and Steve grow up," Lizzie says.

"You had to be both parents. You did all you could and more," Lizzie says.

Sarah gives Lizzie a watery smile.

"I need you to do something for me Elizabeth," Sarah says.

"Anything," Lizzie says through sobs.

"Please be happy. I wish I was there to see you get married and Steve too. I wanted to be able to watch your children grow and become amazing people like their parents. Hopefully, if all goes right, I'll be able to watch all that from afar. But Elizabeth, I need you to live. Don't let my death suck you down. Take care of your brother when I can't anymore. Do you think you could do that for me?" Sarah asks weakly.

She doesn't know if she can do all that. She didn't know if she was strong enough for all that but she knew she couldn't deny her mother her last wish.

"I will mama," Lizzie says.

"I love you, my brave little girl," Sarah says.

"I love you mama, so much," Lizzie says.

Sarah Rogers dies a week later.

Lizzie found out first when she went to visit the hospital. Bucky had walked with her so he holds her as she cries and screams.

Bucky let's a few tears slip for not only Lizzie but for himself as well. Sarah was a second mom and he loved her. He'll mourn her on his own later, he has to be there for Lizzie now.

Bucky offered to be there when Lizzie told Steve but she said that this was something she had to do on her own.

She walks into the house and realizes that Sarah will never cross the threshold again and that makes everything so much worse.

Lizzie enters Steve's room.

"Steve..." Lizzie says.

"I know she's dead. I felt your grief," Steve says blankly.

Lizzie doesn't question his claim. The twins are long past questioning the strength of their twin bond.

He looks over at Lizzie and finally breaks down. Lizzie climbs into bed with him like they did when they were kids and one of them had a nightmare.

They wished this was just a nightmare. Well it was a nightmare, just one they couldn't wake up from.

Neither of them slept that night. They just held onto each other and tried to ignore the emptiness Sarah had left them in.

Bucky tries to be there for them as much as he can but he couldn't take anytime off of work when he was so new. He was thankful he was able to switch a shift so he could make the funeral.

The teachers decide to let the twins off for the rest of the school year so they could properly grieve. They were now the Rogers orphans.

Steve spent a lot of time in his room crying. Lizzie spent a lot of her time walking.

She would leave the house early in the morning and wouldn't come home until the sun was setting.

The day before the funeral, Lizzie was coming home from a walk when she noticed Riley sitting on the porch.

"Steve said you'd be out walking but I didn't think you'd be out that long," Riley admits.

"It gives me time to think," Lizzie says apathetically.

"I know you just got back but would you mind walking with me a bit more?" Riley asks.

Lizzie knows she has nothing better to do. Maybe Riley will even manage to distract her.

They walk awhile in silence until they reach a familiar clearing. They sometimes read there after school.

"I'm so sorry about your mom Lizzie," Riley says.

"I guess it's just me and Steve now. It's my job to take care of him now," Lizzie says.

Riley grabs on to both of her hands.

"And who takes care of you?" Riley asks.

"I do, I guess," Lizzie says with a small shrug.

"You don't have to. If you let me, I could take care of you," Riley says.

Lizzie's jaw drops as Riley gets down on one knee.

"Elizabeth Grace Rogers, will you marry me?" Riley asks.