What If He Can't Protect Her?

Bucky was exhausted by the end of the work week. All he wanted was to go home and relax with his girl.

He loved that he got to go home to her now. It always felt horrible leaving her at night and now he doesn't have to.

He knows Steve is going to be out tonight so Lizzie and him will have the house to themselves.

"Ellie, I'm home," Bucky says.

He walks into the living room and sees Lizzie sitting on the couch. She is staring blankly in front of her and she is clutching the phone tightly in her hand though it is disconnected.

"Ellie?" Bucky asks in concern.

He walks over to the couch and sits next to Lizzie. He gently pries the phone out of her hand and places it in the cradle.

"Ellie, honey. You're scaring me," Bucky says.

The fear in his voice finally gets her to snap out of it.

"Riley called," Lizzie says.

He didn't know what he was expecting but it wasn't that.

"I didn't know you two were talking," Bucky admits.

"We weren't, we're not. Since I turned down the proposal, we haven't talked," Lizzie says.

"Why did he call then?" Bucky asks.

"He wanted to let me know that James Royce turns 18 in two days and then he's going to be released," Lizzie says.

Bucky is suddenly brought back to the day that he found her in the alley.

His chest fills with dread and panic. He feels like he can't breathe.

The boy who almost killed the love of his life is getting released.

He almost killed her once, why won't he do it again? He can't lose her, he won't allow it.

Lizzie notices that he begins to hyperventilate.

"Jamie, Jamie calm down," Lizzie urges.

If anything it makes Bucky struggle more.

What if he comes after her again and he can't save her this time? What if he can't protect her?

"James, look at me," Lizzie demands.

She straddles his lap and grabs his face in her hands.

"James," Lizzie says.

She grabs his hand and places it on her chest right over her heart. He can feel it's steady pressure against his hand.

He rests his forehead against hers.

"Focus on my heartbeat Jaime. Try to match your breathing with mine okay?" She says.

She takes a few deep breaths and she sighs in relief when he breathes with her.

She can still feel his body shake underneath her.

He pulls her tightly against him and buries his face in her neck.

"I'm okay, Jaime. I'm right here with you and nothings going to happen okay?" Lizzie says.

He doesn't say anything but just pulls her body closer. He just needs to feel her close.

He lifts his head from her neck and presses a desperate kiss to her lips. She jumps in surprise but quickly surrenders into the kiss.

The kiss becomes more and more heated and Lizzie pulls at Bucky's shirt to get him closer. He grabs her hips and pulls her flush to his body.