A Very Expensive Box

Bucky went to pick up the twins to go with them to the funeral but when he showed up at their house, no one was there. He went to the cemetery with his family but it was only Steve there.

"Where's Lizzie?" Bucky asks.

"Who knows? All I know is she didn't care enough to show up," Steve says bitterly.

"You know your sister well enough to know that she has to have a reason," Bucky says.

"What reason could she have for missing burying our mother? She should be here for mom," Steve says.

She should be there for him, Steve adds in his head.

"Are you sure she's okay?" Bucky asks.

"I saw her leave early this morning and she wasn't dressed for the funeral. Plus, I'd know if she was hurt," Steve says.

Bucky walks Steve back to his house. He tries to convince Steve to move in with him at his new place but Steve turns him down.

"Thank you, Buck. But we can get by on our own," Steve says.

"Thing is, you don't have to," Bucky says.

He looks Steve in the eyes and places a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm with you to the end of the line, pal," Bucky says.

Bucky meant it too. There is nothing he wouldn't do for Steve and Lizzie. He'd die for them and even scarier, he'd kill for them.

"I'm going to go find Lizzie," Bucky says.

"She wants to be alone," Steve says.

"You both say you want to be alone but that's not what you need," Bucky says.

Bucky leaves Steve to go find Lizzie. There's only a few places that she would go but he has a strong feeling he knows where she is.

He takes the long walk to the lookout that he found so many years ago. The spot had become a safe haven of sorts for the three of them that only they knew about.

Sure enough, he can see the little blonde sitting on the outcropping of rock.

"You're not going to jump are you?" Bucky asks.

She jumps at his voice and looks at him but then turns back around when she sees who it is.

"Not today. Go away, Bucky," she slurs.

That's when he sees the bottle in her hand.

"Are you drunk?" Bucky asks in astonishment.

"Are you deaf? Leave Bucky," Lizzie says.

"No," he says as he sits on the rock next to her.

She decides to ignore him. They sit in silence for a very long time. Lizzie continues to drink in the meantime.

"You missed the funeral," Bucky finally says.

"No, I didn't. I had it right here. My mom isn't any more here then she is at the cemetery. All Steve did was bury a very expensive box. I don't know how we are supposed to afford that very expensive box. Or the house or clothes or food," Lizzie says.

"I can help you know," Bucky says.

"You just bought a new place. You can't afford to take us in without us financially contributing," Lizzie says.

"How do you plan on financially supporting yourself?" Bucky asks

"I dont know but I'll figure it out. If I don't, the state will take Steve and I away. They don't guarantee that siblings stay together. It would only be for 14 months until we turn 18 but I can't be away from Steve for that long," Lizzie says.

They fall back in silence. Bucky knows that Lizzie won't take his help just like Steve won't but he has to try one more time.

"Why won't you let me help you? You'd do the same for me," Bucky says.

"Why do you men think that I'm unable to take care of myself?" Lizzie says.

Bucky is sincerely confused. What men?

"What do you mean, Ellie?" Bucky asks sincerely.

"Riley proposed to me. He said he could take care of me," Lizzie spits out.

Bucky panics for a split second and looks at her left hand. He sighs in relief when he sees that there is no ring.

Lizzie notices when he looks for a ring.

"Do you really think so little of me to think I'd actually marry him?" Lizzie says.

"You were still deciding between us," Bucky says.

"I would never marry someone when I was still in love with someone else. That's just cruel to all parties involved," Lizzie says.

"Did you love him?" Bucky asks.

"No, maybe everything would've been easier if I had. I was comfortable with him and I tried to make myself believe that I could grow to love him," Lizzie says.

"So if I asked you to marry me right now, would you say yes?" Bucky asks.

Bucky isn't really proposing but he knows if she said yes right now, he'd marry her in an instant. If she wanted to go down to the courthouse right now, he'd marry her today.

"That's the worst proposal I've ever heard of," Lizzie says.

"Is that a no?" Bucky says with a small smile.

"Try again in a few years," Lizzie responds.

"A few years?" Bucky says in surprise.

"Well, we still aren't together yet. You need to wait at least a year once we get together," Lizzie says.

"And when might that be?" Bucky prods.

"I understand if you're tired of waiting but if you're still willing to wait for me, can you give me just a bit longer? I need to grieve a bit before I can jump into another relationship but when I'm ready, you'll be my first call. Promise," Lizzie says.

"Alright, I can handle that," he says.

He pulls the bottle out of Lizzie's hands and sets it next to him. He pulls her over so she is resting her head against his chest.

She can feel his heart beating against her cheek. He is just so warm and comfortable. It's the first time she's felt comforted since she heard her mother died.

When he feels her body begin to shake and tears wet his shirt, he doesn't say anything.

He just holds her a bit tighter and let's her take comfort in his arms. She doesn't need his reassurances right now. She just needs him to hold her and so he does just that.