He Gave Me A Chance, Lizzie

Steve decided to sleep over at Lizzie's house. He knew she wouldn't want to be left in the house by herself even if she wouldn't say it.

He worried about how she would do when he left. He knew she was strong but there is always a limit to what a person could handle.

They sleep on the floor like they did when they were kids. He manages to fall asleep but is soon woken by Lizzie's crying.

He scoots over to her and pulls her towards him. She curls into him and grips his shirt as she cries. He rubs her back soothingly until her cries quiet.

"Part of me wishes I never loved him. I wouldn't be in this pain if I didn't," Lizzie says.

Steve knows she's right. If she didn't love him and they were just friends, it would hurt but it wouldn't break her.

"It would be easier, but what you and Bucky have... Lizzie, that's a type of love that people would kill for," Steve says.

She knows she would never trade her time with him for anything. She just wishes she could avoid feeing this pain.

"I've been incredibly fortunate these last couple years to have Jamie. I was just wondering if this is the universe collecting its toll for all our happiness," Lizzie says.

He hates seeing her like this. Lizzie was such a light to the world and he hated to see her so pessimistic.

"You're acting like he's dead Liz," Steve says.

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst," she says despondently.

She doesn't want to talk about Bucky being dead right now but she has to admit that it is a possibility, a very real possibility.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore, Steve," she says.

"Lizzie..." Steve says.

"Please just leave it," she asks.

He doesn't want to leave it because he knows that he won't be there to help her through this later but he needs to respect her wishes.

"Alright Liz, we don't need to talk about it anymore. Get some sleep," he says.

Steve expects her to move away but she just curls closer to his side. Steve and Lizzie are each other's safety blanket when all things are bad in the world.

"No matter what happens, know that I love you," Steve whispers.

He thinks she's already asleep so it surprises him when she responds.

"You're my best friend and my twin, I'll always love you," Lizzie says.

Both twins soon drift off into a restless sleep.

When Lizzie wakes up, she notices that Steve is already up. She walks in the kitchen and sees that Steve is at the stove.

When she enters, Steve looks over at her. Luckily he is just finishing up cooking so he dishes some food for the both of them and brings it to the table.

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

"Numb," she admits.

They both lapse into silence as the push the food around their plate.

Lizzie begins to pick up that Steve has something on his mind. She might think that it's just Bucky leaving but she knows that it's more. Call it a twin thing but she can feel guilt radiating off him. Now why would Steve be feeling guilty?

"What's wrong Steve?" Lizzie asks.

He looks up at her sharply. She can always read him too well. He should've known he couldn't have kept his secret for long.