He Must Have Been Special

The Winter Soldier wakes up and is confused for a second about what happened. Then he remembers the crash.

He quickly looks around and sees the girl. Her head is slumped forward and she isn't moving.

He gets out of his seat and crawls towards her. She looks so pale but he's comforted by the fact that her skin is still warm.

He panics for a second because she can't be dead. Why would he get to live while she dies? It didn't seem fair or right.

He also doesn't want to go back to Hydra empty handed but he has to admit to himself that that is not a real concern.

He reaches up and when he touches her neck, he doesn't feel a pulse.

He doesn't even bother with unlocking the seat. He rips the harness off her and places her gently on the ground.

He wasn't taught a lot of things about how to save a person's life, mostly just how to end them, but he knows just enough to know what to do.

He begins pressing the spot right over her hearts in hopes to restart it.

He opens her mouth and leans down and presses his mouth to hers, forcing air into her lungs.

Her lips are still warm so that means that she hasn't been gone for long. He knows he can still save her.

He repeats the process for a couple minutes and is about to give up hope when she gives a small gasp.

He is in such relief that he just holds her against him. He rests his forehead against hers and feels the sweetest relief.

He can feel her pulse under his hands where he's touching her neck and can feel her warm breath on his face. He's so close that he could reach forward and press his lips to hers.

He finally realizes the intimacy of the position they're in and how it's wrong on so many levels. There's a very large part of him that wants to stay in her arms forever but he can't understand why he wants that.

She is a virtual stranger. Is it just because he's never been in front of a woman who wasn't cruel for the first time? For some reason he knows in his bones that that is not the case. It is because of this particular girl.

All of these feelings of course are wrong in the worst ways. He needs to get over whatever it is he is feeling because it's so dangerous.

He hates himself for doing it but he somehow finds the strength to pull away from her. He needs to get away from her for a moment and clear his head.

"I'm going to go check the land and see where we ended up. Can I trust you to stay here?" He asks.

Lizzie is still recovering and has barely had time to process all that just happened. Her ribs feel like they are at least badly bruised, probably more likely fractured. Even if she wanted to, she is in no shape for an escape attempt.

"Would running away be a good way to repay you for saving my life? Anyways, I think we both know I won't get very far and the rain will make tracking me down all too easy," she says.

He knows she's right. She won't get very far after literally dying minutes earlier.

He's about to ask if she's okay and if she needs anything but then he realizes he shouldn't care. She's his prisoner and he shouldn't care about her comfort but he does.

"I'll be right back," he says.

He ducks out in the rain, leaving Lizzie alone to her thoughts and her thoughts drift inevitably to home.