I'm Not Talking About This With You

The next day, Bucky and Lizzie get up extra early so they don't miss the inevitable speech from the president. Classes were canceled for Lizzie and Bucky called out of work so they would know what happened immediately.

They eat breakfast in the living room for once. They usually make a point of sitting at the table for meals but today is an exception.

Throughout the day, at least one of them sits by the radio so they know when an announcement starts.

At 12 o'clock the announcer says that the president is about to make an address.

They both sit in silence holding each other's hands as the president begins his speech.

He describes the events that took place in Pearl Harbor and the events that followed.

He goes on to say that it is our duty to defend ourselves and talks about his belief in our armed forces.

"I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7th, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire," Roosevelt concludes.

Bucky turns of the radio and they sit in silence.

America has just entered the war in Europe. Sure, the president only declared war on Japan but it won't stay that way.

"Ellie..." Bucky starts.

"No," Lizzie says sharply.

Bucky reaches out and grabs her hands.

"Doll, we have to talk about this," Bucky urges.

She rips her hands away and gets up from the couch.

"No, we don't," Lizzie says.

She walks out of the room and Bucky follows her.

"Ignoring this isn't going to make it go away," Bucky says.

She walks up to the room and goes to slam the door but he manages to stop it before it closes all the way.

He pushes the door open, being careful not to push too hard and hurt her.

"I'm not talking about this with you," Lizzie says.

She tries to leave the room again but Bucky blocks the doorway.

"Elizabeth, sit down and let's discuss my options," Bucky says.

"You have no options but to stay home with me!" Lizzie yells.

"You really think I'm going to stay here and let other men protect you?" Bucky yells back.

"I don't want you to protect me if it means you dying!" Lizzie responds.

At the thought of Bucky dying, Lizzie bursts into tears.

Bucky wants to comfort her but he knows if he does, he'll cave to her wishes.

"I will always protect you, even if I have to die and I don't need your approval to do it," he says.

Lizzie knows it's low but it's the only way to get him to stay.

"Then I'll go too," Lizzie says.

He is taken aback by her declaration but he knows that the army won't take a woman.

"They won't accept a woman to fight," Bucky says dismissively.

"No, but they need nurses don't they?" Lizzie threatens.