Ask Me Again

Lizzie freezes and stares at him. Did he just say what she thinks he said?

"What?" Lizzie asks.

For a split second, he wants to backtrack and take it all back but then he realizes he doesn't want to take it back.

"Will you marry me, Ellie?" Bucky asks sincerely.

So she did here him right and apparently it wasn't a slip of the tongue.

"Are you crazy?" Lizzie squeaks.

He can see the panic building on her face.

"I've actually thought this out. This isn't exactly a spur of the moment thing," Bucky says.

"You planned to ask me to marry you today?" Lizzie asks.

"Well, not exactly. I've kind of been wanting to ask you to marry me since after our first date. I have a ring at home," Bucky says.

Lizzie rubs her temples. This is why she told him to wait a year. She didn't want to have to turn him down.

"Jaime, we talked about this," she says.

"I know we did," Bucky says.

"You said you would wait at least a year before proposing," Lizzie says.

"I know," Bucky says.

"Then why are you proposing to me right now?" Lizzie asks.

"Because I love you. I know we've only been together for six months but can you honestly say it feels like we've only been together for six months?" Bucky asks.

She understands what he means. They had been friends for so long and they've been in love far longer than they've been dating.

He can see that she's thinking about what he's saying so he interjects again before she can come up with an argument.

"Do you love me?" Bucky asks.

"You know I do," Lizzie says.

"Do you want to marry me? Not now necessarily but someday?" Bucky asks.

"I don't think I see myself marrying anyone but you," Lizzie admits.

"I know we're young but I know what I want and I think you do too. I don't mind waiting to get married but I want to make that promise to get married now," Bucky explains.

"If you don't mind waiting then why can't you just propose when we're both ready to get married?" Lizzie asks.

"Because I want to commit to you in every way you'll allow. Anyways, let's be honest, boyfriend and girlfriend is a pretty casual term for what we are to each other," Bucky says.

She knows he's right. This isn't a sort term thing between the two of them. She wants to marry him someday and isn't an engagement just a promise to get married?

"I'm not going to marry you anytime soon," Lizzie says.

Bucky can feel hope rising in his chest.

"I know," Bucky says with a smile.

"I still want to establish a career," Lizzie adds.

"I know," Bucky agrees.

"When we get married, I want it to be as equals. I know it's not a common notion but you need to understand that it's important to me," Lizzie says.

"You know I'll support you in whatever you do. If you want to be a doctor, I'll support you through medical school and same goes for nursing. I want you to be whatever you want to be and I'll be with you every step of the way," Bucky promises.