Don't Do Anything I Wouldn't Do

Lizzie doesn't know if she's ever been this nervous. She starts getting ready obscenely early so all she can do is sit and wait for the next couple hours.

She was never nervous for her dates with Riley. On her first date with Riley, he was almost a stranger and she didn't feel the panic she felt now. Why was she so much more nervous to go out with a boy who she has seen a million times?

Then she realizes that it's because he's Bucky. He's her best friend and before these last few months, things between them had been nothing but platonic.

Would they be able to cross that line between friends to lovers without awkwardness?

Sure, they have kissed multiple times but physical compatibility doesn't always equate to emotional compatibility.

Then she realizes how ridiculous she's being. He's her Jamie. They have a connection that most people only dream of having.

She realizes that besides the kissing, it's almost like they've been dating for years. They hang out almost everyday and he has taken her out before. The only difference is now it was just official.

Bucky doesn't know if he's ever been this nervous. He's never been nervous to take out a girl, not even on his first date ever with Tara.

He had spent so much time debating on where to take her. He could just take her dancing or to see a movie but that's what he does with all the girls. Ellie wasn't just a girl, she was the girl, his girl.

He finally found the perfect date that seemed to be custom tailored for Lizzie.

He asked his dad if he could borrow the car and he was all too willing to hand over the keys. His family was almost as excited as he was. They couldn't ask for anyone as perfect for Bucky as Lizzie.

Rebecca was particularly excited.

"I can't believe you're going out with Lizzie," Rebecca shouts as she jumps up and down on Bucky's bed.

He would kick her out but she is helping distract him from his thoughts.

"I can't believe it either. Now will you get down before you break my bed?" Bucky asks.

Rebecca gives one more large jump and lands with her legs crisscrossed in front of her on the bed..

"How'd you do it?" Rebecca asks.

"Do what?" Bucky asks impatiently.

"Trick Lizzie into thinking she's not out of your league," Rebecca snarks.

"You're literally the worst," Bucky deadpans.

"Do you think you could also trick her into marrying you? She's be a really good sister-in-law. I'd just be sorry that she would have to be stuck with you forever," Rebecca says.

"Get out," Bucky says firmly.

She gets off the bed and walks towards his door.

"Touchy, touchy," Rebecca says with a laugh.

Bucky decides that staying in the house is a bad idea. He decides to drive around a little before going to pick up Ellie.

As he drives, he notices that the clouds are pretty dark. He didn't read about the weather that night, but he can only pray that the rain stays away. The night he has planned depends on clear skies.

Five o'clock finally rolls around and he pulls up to pick up Lizzie.

He walks up to the door and knocks. Steve is the one who opens the door.

"Hello, sir. I'm here to pick up your sister," Bucky says in an overly respectful voice.

Steve rolls his eyes at Bucky's behaviors.

"You're ridiculous. Get inside, Jerk," Steve says.

He holds open the door and lets Bucky in.

"Liz! Bucky's here!" Steve shouts.

"Coming!" Lizzie responds.

Bucky finally sees her and is floored.

She is wearing a light blue dress that matches her eyes perfectly. It is tight up top but flares out at her waist and flows down to just above her knees.

She has a light cream sweater tucked over her arm and her feet have heels in a similar color.

Her hair is curled and lays lightly on her shoulders. He's happy to see that her face is free of makeup.

Right above the neckline of her dress sits her necklace and he thinks that that might be his favorite part of her whole outfit.

"Wow," Bucky says.

"That's what I was going for," Lizzie says with a small smile.

"These are for you," Bucky says.

He holds out a bundle of flowers he purchased earlier in the day. She takes it from him.

"Thank you, they are lovely. I'm going to go put them in some water," Lizzie says.

She leaves the room and Bucky turns back to Steve.

"Is she as nervous as I am?" Bucky asks.

"Definitely, but it's you guys and everything will be fine," Steve reassures him.

Lizzie returns and that's when Bucky notices that he actually hasn't seen Lizzie in that dress before.

"New dress?" Bucky asks.

He has seen every outfit in her very limited wardrobe throughout the years but that's a dress he'd definitely remember.

"It was mom's actually. I knew if she was here, she'd insist on my wearing it anyways," Lizzie says sadly.

He knows it must have been so hard for her to look through Sarah's things. He knows why she did it though.

She knows that Sarah won't get to be there for any of the big parts of their life. The dress is a small way to help Sarah be a part of the event.

"Mom would be so happy for the two of you. I think she always knew you'd end up here," Steve says.

"Thanks, Steve. I hope that Sarah would have been glad we got together," Bucky says.

"You were like a second son to her. There was no one else she would've picked for me," Lizzie says.

The three of them stand in silence for a moment thinking of Sarah Rogers.

"Enough of the sadness, mom wouldn't want that. Go enjoy yourself," Steve says.

Bucky reaches out and grabs Lizzie's hand.

"We will," Bucky replies.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," Steve yells as they walk out the door.

Bucky stops and brings both of them back inside.

"What are you doing?" Steve asks.

"You said don't do anything you wouldn't do," Bucky teases.

Lizzie elbows him in the ribs and gives him a chastising look and Bucky attempts to look repentant.

Steve laughs, his sister sure knows how to put Bucky in his place.

"You're a jerk. Go, would you?" Steve says.

Bucky laughs but begins to head out the door again.

"Bye, punk!" Bucky yells.

"Have her home by 10," Steve says.

"Okay, Mr. Rogers, I'll have her home by 11," Bucky says.

Steve begins to reply but Bucky shuts the door behind him.

It isn't until they are both outside that they realizes it's starting to rain.