Chapter 11

Diana and Layla had to spend the whole weekends in the library, studying or writing the many essays that the professors had given them. But with the first Hogsmeade trip of the year arriving, all the students set their books aside and got ready to go to the village and enjoy themselves.

    "Diana! Hurry up!" Layla called out as she was in the common room, waiting for her friend.

     "In a minute!" Diana called out from the girls' dormitory of the stairs.

     Layla suddenly jumped when she heard a loud thud from upstairs. Moments later, Diana came to view as she walked down the stairs, slightly limping.

     "I heard something fall! What was it?" Layla asked worriedly.

     "My cloak fell down," Diana said moodily.

     "But it sounded much louder."

     "That's because I was in it!"

     Layla let out a snort in laughter. "Well, that explains the limp."

     "So you're meeting Ben for a date today?" Diana questioned.

"Yup. You can come with us, if you like," Layla suggested as she and Diana left the common room.

"And watch you snog for forty minutes?" Diana scoffed. "I'll pass."

Layla laughed. "All right. Suit yourself."

"Where are you two meeting up, anyway?"

"Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop."

Diana made a puking noise.

"Hey! Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean no one should!" Layla said defensively. "Besides, I think it's a good couple's spot for cute dates."

"Well, it's too cheesy for my taste." Diana shuddered at the thought. "It would be my worst nightmare to go there."

"You know, I can't wait for the day when a guy comes along and asks you out, and then he takes you here."

"If that day comes, I want you to promise that you would kill me."

"That's a promise I will have no difficulty to keep."

The two girls laughed as they made their way out of the castle. Diana held her cloak closer to herself as they were met with the chilling autumn wind. Despite the cold, she couldn't wait for winter to arrive, bringing with itself the first snow of the year.

  There was nothing she liked more than to wear her long woolly socks and baggy sweaters on a cold Christmas day, sit beside the fireplace, and read a book while sipping on a warm cup of hot chocolate, with two little marshmallows in it.

"I still have ten minutes before I have to meet up with Ben," Layla said as she checked her wrist-watch, before locking her arm with Diana's. "What can we do in ten minutes?"

"Dunno... Walk around with no purpose?"

"Ah, that's my favorite kind of walking." Layla grinned as they made their way down the alley, passing the many shops and little houses in the village.

"Ugh, look over there," Diana suddenly said in disgust as her eyes caught sight of a couple in the distant, snogging outside of the Three Broomsticks.

Layla followed Diana's gaze, only to see Sirius Black and a Ravenclaw girl, kissing intently with the girl's back pressed against the wall outside the pub.

"It was Black," said Layla as the two of them quickly moved on. "With that girl, Sarah... can't remember her surname. But she's a Ravenclaw. I remember her from Herbology."

"Poor girl," said Diana in mock-pity, sighing deeply.

"What do you mean poor girl?" Layla repeated.

"I just mean that he's going to break her heart in a matter of days. Even minutes, knowing him."

"It's Sirius Black we're talking about. Trust me, that girl is having the time of her life right now." She shrugged. "I should know."

"How would you know? You only went out with Black for two weeks last year!"

"Best two weeks ever." Layla smirked, the mischievous glimmer appearing in her dark brown eyes again. "He's a terrific kisser. I highly recommend it."

"Ew!" Diana stopped walking at those words, giving her friend a horrified look.

Layla laughed. "What? It's true! It was fun going out with him, even if it was only for two weeks. Honestly, I don't see myself settling down with anyone and being in a long-term relationship anytime soon. I'd like to play the field for a bit, if you know what I mean."

"I always know what you mean." Diana shook her head with a little grin. "Well, in my case, I don't see myself ever settling down with anyone."

"What if you fall in love?"

"I just don't like the idea of marriage." She shrugged. "Don't want to. Not going to."

"Your problem isn't about marriage." Layla folded her arms, giving her a wistful look. "You're just afraid to fall in love."

"No I'm not!"

"Yes, you are." Layla nodded firmly. "You've turned down every guy who has asked you out. And you scared off the other half so they wouldn't dare to approach you."

"I didn't like any of them! Besides, you know me; I just don't like going on dates and I hate flowers and all these cheesy stuff. I don't see myself in a relationship with any human being. I suck at romantic stuff!"

"Then forget about the romance part. Why can't you have fun and enjoy yourself? It doesn't have to be anything serious."

"Hey, I can have fun too!"

"Oh, yeah?" Layla grinned. "All right. Wanna bet?"

"What?"

"The next guy who asks you out, you have to say yes," she suggested with a sly grin. "Just go out and enjoy yourself and have fun. That is, if you know the definition of fun."

Diana gritted her teeth together, glaring at her friend as she considered it. She could've easily said no, but she always got extremely competitive and was never able to turn down a challenge.

"Fine," Diana said stubbornly. "I'll go out with the next guy who asks me, for the sole purpose of proving you wrong."

"Good." Layla smirked, raising her hand for Diana to shake.

Diana glanced down at her hand before shaking it firmly, desperate to prove herself. Although she felt safe, because she knew that no one was actually going to as her out anytime soon.