Chapter 43

When Madam Puddifoot returned with their two pink drinks and set them on the table, Diana saw that the woman had indeed put two little glittery umbrellas in them. Although Diana couldn't deny that it did taste delicious after taking the first sip.

     "We should better get going," said Remus after they had finished their drinks, checking his watch.

     "Yeah, okay," said Diana, taking a few coins out of her pocket to pay for her own drink.

    "Nah, it's fine. I've got this," Remus stopped her, grinning. "I mean, it's only fair, after making you pay the dwarf for that rubbish."

     Diana smirk, putting the money back in her pocket. "Good. So you do admit that you had written that awful poem."

      "I don't know what you're talking about," he said rather obviously, placing the money on the table before raising from his seat along with Diana.

     "Well, just so you know, you make a terrible poet," she joked, grinning.

     Remus let out a mocking gasp. "How dare you? That poem was a masterpiece!"

     "Yes, of course," she said sarcastically, trying to ignore the  looks everyone in the place was still giving her as they sniggered.

     Once they reached the entrance of the tea shop, Remus opened the door for her with a gentle smile. "Ladies first."

    "Oh... Thanks," Diana mumbled awkwardly, passing through.

      But the moment she took the first step outside, she let out a squeal when something exploded in the air above her head, and the next moment a ton of pink glitter fell on top of her.

    Diana slowly turned around, glaring daggers at Remus who stood behind her, bursting with laughter.

    "That — was — amazing," he said in between roars of laughter, holding his stomach.

     "Glitter bomb? Really?" Diana shook her head at him furiously. "What's next? Confetti grenade?"

     "Oh, come on. It was funny. Admit it," said Remus as the two of them walked down the thin side road, across the snow-covered ground.

     "My school clothes are ruined!" Diana complained with a groan, looking down at her glittery shirt miserably.

      Diana expected Remus to make a funny joke about it, but instead, what he asked next took her completely by surprise.

     "Why have you worn your school uniform to Hogsmeade, though?" he mused.

     "What?" Diana turned to look at him as they walked on together through the village.

    "Sorry... I know it was a weird questions," he said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "It's just that — I've never seen you in anything other than your school shirt and trousers. Well — except for that time I saw you in Diagon Alley, last summer."

     "I... well..." Diana started with a little frown, looking down at her feet which left prints on the snowy ground with each step.

     "You — you don't have to answer," Remus said quickly, afraid that he had made her uncomfortable.

      "No. It's fine. It's just that..." She sighed, saying after a small pause, "I'm not really the dress-or-skirt-wearing type. But my mother... she doesn't let me buy anything else for my own. She thinks it's boyish if a girl wears trousers."

     "I see..." Remus said quietly, looking over at her with wondering eyes.

     "This thing I'm wearing right now," she pointed at her glittery shirt and trousers, "it's a part of the school uniform. It's required that everyone should have a pair. So, seeing as this is the only pair of trousers and shirt I own, it's all I wear. The Hogwarts' house elves wash our clothes magically every night when we're asleep, so it's all good."

     "Then why don't you buy new clothes for yourself at Hogsmeade and keep them at Hogwarts, so your mum won't find out?" He knew for a fact that she came from an extremely rich family, which is why he knew she could afford it.

     "My parents don't think I'm responsible enough, so they don't give me too much pocket-money. Only enough to buy butterbeer or sweets during our Hogsmeade visits. That's all."

    "Oh..." Remus's face crumbled in guilt, but he managed to give her a teasing smile afterward. "Now I feel bad for making you pay the dwarf for the poem."

     Diana laughed at that. "No, it's fine. I mean, it may not be enough to buy new clothes for myself, but it's enough to buy little things. For example, I love getting myself a new pair of socks each time I come to Hogsmeade. They're very cheap, but also really adorable and comfy at the same time."

    "Socks?" Remus repeated curiously, and then he suddenly saw the brightest smile appear across Diana's face at that word.

     "Yup!" She nodded cheerfully.

     She then stopped walking and slightly rolled up one of the cuffs of her trousers, revealing a long woolly sock underneath it. It was black and had little white snowflakes knitted on it.

     Remus found himself chuckling at the sight of it. "How many of these do you own?"

    "Oh, more than I can count." She admitted with a bright grin. "Honestly, if I hadn't spent all my money on socks and had saved it all, I could buy five clothes for myself at this point."

     Remus laughed. "Where do you buy these from? Is there a store in Hogsmeade for it?"

    "Oooh! How about I take you to the store!?" Diana said in an excited tone which sounded much unlike herself, before taking a hold of Remus's wrist and dragging him up the alley.

     At first, Remus wanted to protest, because he had a few more embarrassing things planned for their date, but when he saw the unusual happy expression on her face, he only smiled and followed after her.