Chapter 57

Diana was having a miserable summer. For one, her brother was getting married soon and she had to spend her time helping around or having to suffer from her mother gushing over the wedding plans. The only good thing about it was that her parents were so busy this summer that they didn't have the time to tell her how she wasn't behaving like a lady or that her clothes weren't proper.

Secondly, throughout the last few weeks she had written three letters to Remus, though she had received no reply from him.

Diana kept trying to bring excuses for him, as though attempting to convince herself that the problem wasn't her. But with each letter that she wrote, she became more and more disappointed.

The day of her brother's wedding had finally arrived. Diana was still in her room, wearing the dress that her mother had chosen for her. She had tried to convince Diana to place a charm on her curly hair to make it straight and neat, but when Diana refused stubbornly, Mrs. Greengrass settled for placing a flower crown on her blonde hair.

There was still a few minutes left until Diana had to go downstairs and join the ceremony, which was being held in their enormous front yard.

She was sitting behind her desk with a quill in hand and a parchment before her. Diana bit her lower lip, trying to think of what she was even supposed to write in the letter this time.

To Mr. Chocolate Lupin,

This must be the fourth letter I'm sending you, but I haven't heard from you yet. Just checking in to make sure you're okay —

Diana stopped. She retreated her quill, reading the paragraph again.

"Being stupid," she whispered under her breath before crumbling the letter and tossing it away in the bin.

"Diana!" The voice of her mother rang from downstairs.

Letting out a long sigh, Diana stood from her chair and left her room, walking downstairs. She made sure not to skip the stairs or run down the hall too fast, knowing that her mother wouldn't pass on the chance to scold her.

     Diana was asked to stand outside in their great yard, where the wedding was to be held. She was supposed to greet the guests with a welcoming smile on her face, which Diana believed was the hardest task she could've been given. Although she couldn't deny that it was a beautiful and enjoyable summer day.

      Would've been more enjoyable if I wasn't wearing this stupid flower crown, she thought to herself bitterly.

Although the flowers and her uncomfortable fancy gown were forgotten when Diana saw another family Apparate in the distance, and she froze on the spot when she realized it was Evan Rosier, here with his parents.

"The hell are they doing here?" Diana whispered under her breath, her eyes fixed on the family as they walked nearer to where the ceremony was being held. She had no idea that they were invited too.

"Hello. You must be Diana," said Mrs. Rosier, flashing Diana a little smile.

"Er... yes, ma'am. Welcome," said Diana, trying her best to force a smile as she avoided looking at Evan's smirky face.

After shaking Mr. and Mrs. Rosier's hands politely, the two adults moved on to congratulate the Greengrass family for this mary day. Although, much to Diana's dismay, Evan stood behind, still smirking down at her.

"Missed me?" he said with a grin, making her roll her eyes.

"Oh, yes. Hogwarts would never be the same without you now that you've graduated!" Diana said sarcastically before turning on her heel and walking away. But Evan followed after her.

"Well, if you're so eager to see me, I could come and visit you on the Hogsmeade trips, darling."

At that word, Diana suddenly came to a halt and turned around to face him sharply, the rage and hatred visible through her eyes.

"Don't. Call me. Darling," she snarled dangerously slow.

"Fine. Be harsh with me all you want. But trust me when I say this won't be the last time you see of me, darling." And so, sending her one last knowing grin, Evan walked off.

Don't cause a scene. Don't cause a scene, Diana kept repeating to herself as she took deep breaths to calm herself down so she wouldn't go and punch him.

Just then, a wave of relief rushed through her when among the guests, she sighted Regulus.

Even though she was happy to see her friend at such a dull ceremony, a part of her was hoping that she wouldn't see Regulus today. Because if he was here, it meant that Sirius wasn't too far either.

Diana already knew that her parents had sent an invitation to the Blacks weeks ago, but she was secretly wishing that they wouldn't show up.

Sighing to herself again, Diana walked toward where Regulus stood at the drink table. He raised his silver cup toward a wine bottle floating nearby, and so the bottle magically filled up his cup.

"Aren't you a bit young to be drinking wine?" Diana asked as she approached him with a grin, catching his attention.

"Hey." Regulus gave her a small nod, though he seemed grimmer than she had ever seen him.

"Woah. What's wrong, Pretty Boy?" Diana asked in a hopeless attempt to annoy him into smiling like she usually did, but it made no difference on his foul mood.

"Nothing." He mumbled, taking a large sip of the drink. "Why do you look so down? It's your brother's wedding day."

Diana scoffed. "The only good thing about it is that he's moving out."

"I know what you mean." He shook his head angrily, looking away.

"You know," Diana started after a pause, "If I'm being honest, I'm not sure if I'm happy to see you here or disappointed."

Regulus raised a questioning brow at her. "What do you mean?"

"Well, because now I have another person here whom I have to tolerate for a whole day." She rolled her eyes again.

"Who are you talking about?"

"Your brother, of course," she said, looking around. "Where is he, anyway?"

"Haven't — haven't you heard?" Regulus lowered his voice, now frowning.

Diana looked back at him curiously. "No. What happened?"

Regulus pursed his lips together, hesitant at first, until he finally said, "Sirius ran away from home."