Chapter 123

The soft light of morning filtered through the curtains of Remus's room, gently waking Diana from her peaceful slumber. As she stirred, a smile touched her lips at the sight of Remus still peacefully asleep beside her. The events of the previous night played in her mind like a vivid dream, and she couldn't help but relish the warmth of the moment.

She couldn't wipe away her smile, and neither could she shake away the soreness on her body. The bed was small, but Diana couldn't remember the last time she had slept this good or felt this comfortable.

Carefully extricating herself from the bed, Diana tiptoed across the room, trying not to disturb Remus and to wake him up. Her wedding dress was tossed on the floor, but she tried to ignore it, as it was a reminder of her past life now. A life she had no intention of looking back at.

Instead, Diana walked toward his wardrobe and drew out the drawer. She then picked up the first t-shirt which was tucked neatly on top of the pile, and put it on herself. She grinned at how it fell down to her knees, baggy over her figure.

Diana quietly left the room. As she descended the wooden stairs outside his bedroom, the Lupins' house seemed to hold its breath in a quiet slumber. Her bare feet padded silently across the hallway toward the kitchen. The antique clock on the wall ticked away, echoing in the silence.

As Diana reached for a glass in the dimly lit kitchen, the door opened behind her, and she heard a loud gasp. Her body froze. Quickly spinning around, she found herself face to face with a middle-aged man with graying hair.

His eyes were wide in shock. But he didn't hesitate to draw out his wand. "Who are you!?" he exclaimed, taking a step back.

Diana's heart raced and she held up her hands defenseless as she stammered, "Diana! I'm Diana!"

The man squinted, clearly still trying to process the unexpected presence of a stranger in his home. He knew that name, the dots quickly connecting in his head. His muscles relaxed, though he didn't lower his wand.

Before she could explain further, the situation escalated. Another figure ran to the kitchen from the living room, panicked and scared. It was a woman, plain and beautiful.

"What is it!? What's going on!?" Hope Lupin exclaimed, her eyes briskly falling upon the stranger in her house. But at her sight, her shoulders relaxed, though she was still surprised. "Diana?"

"I — I'm sorry — I didn't mean to —"

Another sound of rushed footsteps interrupted her, and moments later Remus barged in the room. Remus, now fully awake, appeared in the doorway, his gaze shifting between his parents and Diana. "It's not what you think, Mum. Let me explain."

"I... I think there's no need to explain," Hope tried to say calmly, taking a step closer to her husband and lowering his wand with her hand, while her eyes were still fixed on Diana.

"I still think we need an explanation," Lyall Lupin muttered to his wife, still looking startled.

"Just let me handle this," Hope told him, before looking back at Diana again, trying to maintain her smile.

All this while, Diana still had the glass of water in shaky hands, her cheeks burning red with the heat of embarrassment. She wished she had at least more clothes on, and certainly not a loose t-shirt that belonged to their son, with nothing underneath.

Clearing her throat, Hope softly walked toward Diana. "Why don't you come with me, Diana, while Remus brings his father up to date?"

"Uh..."

"It's okay." Hope gave her a warm smile. "Maybe you'd like more comfortable clothes? Something to eat? You must be hungry."

Diana merely nodded, not finding the strength to speak. She followed Hope up the stairs and into her room silently.

"There you go," Hope handed her a long, white sundress. It looked nothing like the clothes witches wore, but Diana took it gratefully.

"Thank you, Mrs. Lupin," she said, finally finding her voice.

"Please, just call me Hope." She smiled. "Change. I'll go bring you something to eat."

After a few minutes, there was a knock on the door and Hope walked inside the room again, carrying a full tray of breakfast.

"You didn't have to —"

"Oh, it was no trouble," said Hope, setting the tray down on the bed for Diana. "Remus is talking to Lyall. He's explaining everything."

Diana nodded awkwardly, not sure what to say and still embarrassed of how Remus's parents found her in their home.

Hope looked at Diana, holding her gaze before smiling gently. "It was a brave thing you did."

Diana felt a warmth wash down over every inch of her body, her heart sinking in her chest. Remus must've told her everything. "Thank you."

"Anytime," said Hope. "And you can stay here for however long you want. Any friend of Remus is family to us... specially you."

Diana smiled. Her heart was full.

     A knock at the door caught their attention, and they saw Remus slowly pushing the door further open, peering inside. "Hi."

     "Hey," Diana muttered as Remus stepped inside.

     "Well, I should better go speak with Lyall. He's all alone downstairs and is probably in great in of my famous hot chocolate." Hope giggled, walking toward the door.

     Just before stepping outside, Hope hesitated at the doorframe, turning her head back to look at Diana. "You looking gorgeous in that dress. Now I know why my son is over the moon for you."

     Diana blushed again as Hope left the room.

     "She's right you know," said Remus, smiling. "You look great."

     Diana shook her head, smiling giddily as she sat down on the bed beside the breakfast tray. "Merlin, that was so awkward. I'm so embarrassed."

     "Don't be," Remus tried to say comfortingly as he sat beside her, the tray between them on the mattress. "Both my parents are okay with you staying here. I'd told my mum everything long before, so I guess she knew why and how you were here. And I also talked to my dad. Everything is going to be okay."

      "I'm sorry." Diana closed her eyes, sighing. "I know you're already in a bad situation with the Death Eaters and all."

     "Hey," Remus grabbed her hand, making her look up at him, "it's okay. Everything is going to be okay."

     Diana found herself smiling lightly. "Thank you."

     "Well, here," said Remus, handing her a toast, "you must be hungry."

     Diana snorted, snatching the toast from him. "Starving, more like it."

     She took a bite from the toast which had home-made jam all over it and swallowed the whole thing in a matter of seconds.

     Remus tried to hold back his laughter as half her face got covered in the red jam. "You've got jam on your face."

     Diana frowned, rubbing her pinky over the edge of her lips in a hopeless attempt to get the jam off, even though all over her mouth was still covered in jam.

     She looked back at him. "Am I good?"

     Remus chuckled, gazing at her lovingly. "You're perfect."