Chapter 86

For the rest of the day, Diana went to her classes gloomily, unable to listen to any of the lessons or to take notes. She shared most of her classes with Remus, but she tried to completely ignore his presence.

Remus wasn't feeling any better than her, if not worse. He barely ate anything at lunch, nor did he laugh at Sirius and James's jokes, which they were highly offended by and took it personally.

     They tried cheering him up, but nothing they did seemed to work. They were lost as to its reason, but no matter how many times they asked, Remus either changed the subject or gave them a small shrug of his shoulders.

James, Sirius, and Peter assumed that Remus's moodiness was due to the upcoming full moon and the pressure of their classes, as well as all the school work they had to catch up with. But to top it all off, the sixth years' first Apparition lesson had at last arrived.

The lessons were going to be held on Saturday mornings so that no normal lessons would be missed, and they took place in the Great Hall instead of in the grounds.

When Remus arrived in the Hall along with James, Sirius, and Peter, he saw that the tables had disappeared, emptying an enormous space for the sixth year students to gather in.

  "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for these lessons." James grinned with anticipation, rubbing his hands together gleefully.

"Don't get your hopes up. You won't be able to start Apparating today. It takes a lot of practice," said Remus rather grumpily. "Besides, there's a chance you're going to leave an arm or a leg behind, so don't get too excited."

"Awesome!" Sirius exclaimed with a smirk, getting even more excited after hearing Remus's words.

Remus rolled his eyes. James and Sirius had been looking forward to these lessons, although Peter looked extremely nervous.

"It's not awesome!" Peter cried out, biting his nails anxiously out of habit. "I don't want to be torn in half!"

  "Don't worry, Wormtail. That's what the professors are here for. They'll quickly put you back together if you get Splinched," said James, pointing at the front of the Great Hall, where Professors McGonagall, Slughorn, Flitwick, and Sprout were gathered, who were the Heads of Houses. There was also a small wizard present whom Remus figured was the Apparition instructor from the Ministry.

"Good morning," said the Ministry wizard, when all the students had at last arrived. "I shall be your Ministry Apparition instructor for the next twelve weeks here. I'm here to prepare you for your Apparition Tests, by which time, many of you will hopefully be ready."

Remus tried to listen to what he was saying, but he found himself easily distracted as his eyes kept wandering around the hall, looking for Diana.

     He finally found her standing close to the wall with her friend, her curly blonde hair looking messier than usual and her clothes worn far from neat. She had her arms crossed across her chest, looking highly uninterested and bored in the lesson.

"As you may know, it is usually impossible to Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts," the small wizard continued. "The headmaster has lifted this enchantment only inside the Great Hall for one hour, so you can practice. You will not be able to Apparate outside the walls of this Hall, and that you would be unwise to try."