Chapter 121

With the graduation upon them, Diana couldn't care less about how she did on her N.E.W.Ts exams and her scores. Her life as she knew it was over.

As the tradition of graduation at Hogwarts went, the magical boats in the Black Lake awaited the seventh year students to take them across the water one last time and all the way to the Hogwarts Express.

The boats were being filled one by one, and so Diana took the first empty one she found. Layla had gone to say goodbye to Marlene and asked Diana to save a spot for her.

With a long sigh, Diana watched the glimmering lights upon the water's surface, painted there by the shining sun above. She was going to miss this place more than anything.

She never considered the house her parents lived in her home. Hogwarts was her true home. It was her escape. Her safe place.

It was time to move back to her reality.

Diana was promptly snapped out of her thoughts when she felt the boat she was on slightly shaking. And looking up, she was more surprised to see Sirius Black, stepping onto her boat and then sitting down beside her.

Diana waited for him to say something, but he had an odd expression on his face, looking out at the lake.

"Can I help you?" Diana raised a brow at him after a long time filled with silence between them.

"I already got the help I needed. Two years ago," said Sirius, finally looking back at her.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Diana said blankly, even though she knew exactly what he was referring to.

Two years ago, Sirius had ran away from home. He was disowned by his own family. A disgrace upon the name of Black.

That's what Regulus had told Diana.

Even the thought of Regulus pained her. It killed her inside to know she had lost a friend. And even worse yet, she had lost him to the Death Eaters.

"It's hard."

"Huh?" Diana's eyes widened at the sudden blurt of words from Sirius.

He grinned. "Tsk tsk. What a dirty mind."

"Wha — no — I didn't mean —"

"What I'm saying is," he cut her off, looking more stern now, "I'm not the brave and reckless boy the whole school thinks I am. Well — yes, I am reckless. But the thing I had to do two years ago... it was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life."

Diana gaped at him. "Why are you telling me all this?"

She knew. She knew exactly why.

He shrugged. "So you would know that you're not the only one. So you'd know there is always a choice. So that you understand that the right choice is almost never the easy one."

"You don't u—"

"Don't understand?" Sirius scoffed. "There's not a single soul in this whole castle who would understand this more than I do. It's scary, I know. But let me tell you this... The hardest step is always the first one."

With one last nod at her direction, Sirius stood up from the boat and left, walking toward his friends.

***

The wedding was drawing closer and closer. Everything irritated Diana; from the planning to picking flowers, sending the invitations, and all the fuss her mother was making. It irritated Diana, because it was as though her family were oblivious to all the horrid things going on in the world.

Although she knew that they weren't oblivious. They knew exactly what was going on. They simply didn't care.

A few months ago, even Lily Evans's parents were killed during a Muggle attack. And even though Diana wasn't close friends with her, she felt tremendously bad for her. These were dark times.

And yet here she was, today, on her wedding day, putting on her long white dress.

     "Oh, look at you. My little girl in her wedding dress," Mrs. Greengrass sighed happily, looking at Diana from the mirror with teary eyes.

      Diana looked back at her reflection which was locked inside the tall mirror. She could barely recognize herself, with her wheezy and curly hair now straightened, and her long veil trailing down to the floor behind her.

     She hated this girl standing in front of her in the mirror, staring back at her.

     "I'll go tell the guests you're ready. Be down in five minutes, sweetheart. Your father will be waiting for you right at the mansions' entrance doors downstairs. And then he'll walk you down the aisle."

After pressing a soft kiss to her head, Mrs. Greengrass left the quiet room, leaving Diana alone with her loud thoughts.

Diana sighed, looking away from the mirror. She couldn't bear to look at her pained reflection any longer.

In her long heels, she walked out of the room and carefully took each stair until she reached the entrance doors to the backyard of Rosiers' manor. She peaked through the doors, only to see rows after rows of chairs set outside right beneath the cloudy grey sky. The weather was oddly cold for a summer day.

Evan was standing at the Altar in a black tuxedo, in front of their guests. Harps were enchanted to play. It was right at dusk, the sun slowly setting in the horizon. It all made Diana sick in the stomach. Her nerves were killing her.

"Diana," it was her father's voice, taking her back to reality. She looked over, seeing him standing beside her now.

It was weird, hearing him mention her name. She couldn't remember the last time the two of them had the simplest conversation together. Perhaps it had never happened.

"Are you ready?" her dad spoke in his ever-so stern voice, looking at her with cold eyes that had never once cared for her.

Diana didn't nod, but she merely took his father's arm, and walked out of the manor. The harp's music began to play louder. The guests stood to their feet, watching her as she walked down the aisle. And yet, the only thing Diana could see was Evan, standing only a fee feet away from her now.

The hardest step is always the first one...

Mr. Greengrass walked Diana to the altar and took his seat at the front row, and thus the ceremony began. A tall and old wizard stood between Diana and Evan, and the harp fell silent as he began to speak.

"Today, we are gathered here to celebrate the union of two families..." said the tall wizard.

The right choice is almost never the easy one

"... and to cherish the words that shall unite Diana Greengrass and Evan Rosier."

The hardest step is always the first one...

Diana looked up at the boy standing before her, his face looking blurred through her veil. Her heart was racing. Her whole body felt numb, the world spinning to her eyes.

     "And now," the wizard went on, "should anyone present have any reason to be against this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace."

     And just then —

     "I do!"