Chapter 118

"So, how was Slughorn's Christmas Party last night?" Diana asked Layla as they entered an empty compartment on the Hogwarts Express, going back home for Christmas break. It's an understatement to say their seventh year at Hogwarts had already worn them out.

"Oh, it was so much fun." Layla gave a big smile, dropping herself down on one of the seats. "You have no idea just how much."

"Well, tell me about it! Don't leave me hanging."

"Okay, so I met Marlene at the entrance hall like we were supposed to, and then we went up to Slughorn's office. You had to see his face when we went in! It was so funny! He was obviously confused, cause we weren't really supposed to bring friends; only dates."

"Really? What did he do when he saw her?"

"Nothing. He welcomed us anyway, but he kept saying Marlene's name wrong." Layla chuckled at the memory. "Like, he kept saying 'Marla' or 'Marly'. It was hilarious. But Marlene didn't mind. Apparently he's been doing it for years. She's used to it by now, I guess."

"What did you two do there, then? Didn't you get bored?"

"Not at all! We had so much fun, Diana. We had such a good laugh." Layla sighed happily, leaning back in her seat. "I obviously had to fight Marlene to make her step away from the food table and had to literally drag her to the dance floor. She was the worst dancer I had ever seen in my entire life!"

Diana grinned. "But you seem awfully happy about it."

"Oh, I definitely am." She smiled. "I had such a better time with her than with any guy I ever took every year to Slughorn's Christmas party. I mean, I liked those boys in the sense of having a little fun and snog them and fool around. But... I never really felt a connection with any of them."

"Well, then I'm glad you found a friend who would agree to come with you to these parties. Because that could never be me."

"Yes, I'm aware of how much you hate those stuff." Layla grinned lightly. Soon, the train began to move, leaving the Hogsmeade station behind. "So, what happened last night with Remus? Did you two talk?"

Diana threw her glance away. "We... we actually broke up."

     Lies. Necessary lies.

     After Diana's forced engagement to Evan Rosier, he threatened Diana that she must break up with Remus until Christmas break, otherwise the consequences would be on her.

     Diana wanted to break up with Remus, to keep him safe, but the talk she'd had with him last night only led them to one conclusion: that they would stay together, and yet keep it a secret from everyone. Even their closest friends, including Layla, James, Sirius, and Peter.

"Oh..." Layla's smile faded. "I'm so sorry, Diana. How are you feeling? Stupid question, sorry — of course you're not feeling good."

"It's okay. Don't worry about it. Honestly." Diana shrugged, but there was a sadness in her eyes that Layla couldn't ignore.

She stood up and sat beside Diana, bringing her into a sideway hug to comfort her as best as she could offer.

Although what Layla didn't know was that it wasn't sadness that filled Diana's heart. It was worry.

She didn't know how her plan with Remus was going to work, and how on earth they were supposed to keep their relationship a secret. But she had to try.

     She didn't want to give up on him and what they had. Not just yet.

     Although something else worried her mind as well...

     Her visions.

     Dumbledore believed that Diana was a Seer. That she could predict the future through signs and visions. He had even asked her to take private lessons with their Divination professor, in order to help her powers grow stronger.

      Although Diana had long ago stopped visited their Divination professor and had stopped the lessons, deliberately trying her hardest to block any vision from penetrating her mind. She'd had enough of it all. Her life was stressful enough without all the horrifying things she saw anytime she closed her eyes.

     The last time she'd has a vision, it was of Remus, ending up dead in a duel against Rosier, laying on a cold wet ground in the middle of a dark street, on a stormy night. The thought of it still haunted her thoughts, and her left shoulder stung from pain each time she thought back on it.

     But enough was enough. She was sick of who she was. She was sick of having no control over her fate.

***

Diana always hated being back home for Christmas break, but this year it was different. 'Hate' was no longer the word she would use. It was 'dread'.

     She dreaded being back home. She dreaded her family. She dreaded to be asked about or talk about her arranged marriage to Evan Rosier. But most of all, she dreaded seeing him again.

     This year, the Rosier family was hosting a Christmas Ball, and Diana knew there was no lie or excuse she could bring to skip it. Mrs. Greengrass had made sure to let her know that this was the most important event of the past year for them, and under no circumstances was Diana allowed to do anything to sabotage it or to misbehave.

     Her mother had set down a long and fancy gown on her bed on the night if the Ball, and even the sight of the dress made Diana want to puke.

    "Hideous... absolutely disgusting..." Diana grumbled under her breath as she picked up the dress from her bed to observe it more closely

     For a second, she had the insane thought of accidentally setting the gown on fire, but decided against it and began to get ready for the Christmas Ball.

     The Ball which Rosiers hosted was bigger and more magnificent than any of which the Malfoys had thrown. Because it wasn't just an ordinary Christmas party.

     It was a Ball thrown for the celebration of Diana and Evan's engagement.

     "My dear Diana," Evan approached Diana with a smile, taking her hand in his and kissing her knuckle.

     Preventing herself from grimacing in disgust was the hardest thing Diana ever had to endure.

     "Please, come along with me," Evan said charmingly, gesturing her to follow him with her hand still forcefully held in his.

     Diana only had enough time to throw a glance back at her mother, only to see the expectance in her eyes. This was a warning, silently discouraging her from any misbehaving.

     Gulping, Diana followed Evan to greet his parents. Mrs. Rosier brought her immediately into a hug.

"Welcome to the family," she said, placing a kiss on each side of Diana's face. "I'm sure you'll bear many healthy children to carry on the pure blood of our families."

Diana thought she could throw up.

Right at the moment, Evan suddenly grabbed Diana's wrist in his hand, so firmly she could barely move. He then rose a champagne glass he was holding in his other hand, calling out to the crowd.

"Thank you, our guests, for joining us on this wonderful evening, and to celebrate our union," Evan's voice rang across the ballroom, loud and clear. "Now let's raise a glass to purity and in hopes that one day, Wizars and Witches can rise to their worthy place in this world, and be the rulers as it is our right!"

An echo of cheering rose among the crowd, everyone shouting their support to this noble cause, which was exactly the goal of the Dark Lord.

Evan raised his glass to take a sip, his eyes sideway on Diana, his hand still holding onto her. And at that moment, all she managed to do was to look away from him, avoiding his gaze.

She had never felt more helpless.

She had never missed Remus's safe embrace more.