Chapter 38

The next morning, being Thursday, the fifth year Slytherins had Defense Against the Dark Arts class, which to their great dismay, they shared with the Gryffindors.

     Layla had gotten exceptionally good at that class when it came to practical work and using her wand, as well as in Charms and Transfigurations. She had almost become as good as James Potter and Sirius Black, and that was certainly saying something.

     Although when it came to the theoretical parts and studying the books by heart, Lily Evans still came first in each and every one of their classes. James and Sirius, on the other hand, didn't seem like the type to study at all.

     Layla, who was determined to beat Lily Evans in that as well, had her book open in her hands as she walked up to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom that day after breakfast, with Diana right by her side.

     "Ugh, there is just too much written in text here!" Layla groaned as they walked their way through the crowd inside the corridors, trying not to bump into anyone. "Have you seen this chapter? It's about ghouls. It's thirty pages! Thirty pages just about ghouls!"

    "Yeah, I read it over the Christmas break," said Diana, causing Layla to look at her with shock and disbelief. "What? Don't look so surprised. I like reading when I'm on my own."

     "Reading fictional works I understand. But reading school books?" She shook her head. "That's a big no for me."

     As soon as they entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts class, Diana's eyes uncontrollably searched the room for Remus Lupin.

     As Diana took her usual seat with Layla, her gaze darted toward where James Potter was sitting on top of a desk with Sirius in front of him on the seat. Sirius was lounging on his chair coolly, tilting it back on two legs with ease. Peter was standing beside them as well, laughing along with them. But Remus was nowhere to be seen.

     Once Professor Gates walked into the classroom, Sirius returned his chair on all four legs and James hopped off the desk, taking his seat beside Sirius. Peter quickly walked toward the bench on the row behind them, but the seat beside him which belonged to Remus remained empty for the rest of the class.

     Layla saw that Diana kept glancing at where the three Gryffindor boys sat throughout the lesson, but Layla just assumed Diana was looking at Sirius, after the horrifying news she had received from her parents over the break.

    In reality, however, Diana was wondering where Remus was and why he was missing again.

***

In the next few days, there was still no sign of Remus Lupin in classes; he was neither in Potions or Transfigurations, nor anywhere in the Great Hall for the meals. Diana didn't mention her suspicions to Layla, knowing that her friend would start teasing her about being obsessed with Lupin.

    Diana had completely avoided mentioning to Layla that the boy had actually sent her a short apology letter along with a box of chocolates for Christmas. If Diana even dared to mention that, she would never hear the end of it.

     Even though it was a small gesture, Diana felt like she couldn't stay mad at him any longer. She wasn't comfortable thanking someone she barely knew or apologizing, but deep down, she appreciated what he had done, even though she knew he had done it merely out of guilt.