Chapter 111

Remus and Diana took a carriage to Hogsmeade, though they were accompanied by Peter, Marlene, and Layla.

At first they visited Zonko's, which was so packed with students that they barely had space to move around, and half the people there seemed to be excited third year students.

"Ugh, let's get out of this place," Diana said after she had sent a deadly glare at the last young boy who dared to bump into her. "It's too crowded in here. I hate it."

"I couldn't agree more." Marlene nodded grumpily.

"In a minute. We need to get Voice Changing Sweets. We're out of them," Remus called out to them distractedly, while he and Peter were busy looking around the shelves.

"They must've changed the place they keep them. The Sweets were always here," said Peter, craning his neck to get a better look at the higher shelves.

"Here it is," said Remus, stretching out his arm and easily reaching the top shelf to grab the sweet box. "Okay, I think that's all we needed."

"No, really? Are you sure there's not one thing you have forgotten to pick? You've nearly emptied out the store!" Diana said jokingly and laughed, looking at the large amount of supplies in Peter's arms which the two boys had gotten.

"What? We were out of our monthly supplies!" Remus said defensively, though he kept on grinning as he and Peter made their way toward the counter to pay for the things they had picked up.

Diana left Zonko's along with Layla and Marlene, shaking her head. "Four seventh year boys, one a Prefect and another Head Boy, and they still act like mischievous eleven-year-olds."

"Oh, believe me when I say they're nothing like how they were at eleven." Marlene scoffed. "They would've easily burnt the whole school to the ground in our first few years here. Trust me on this. I've lived in the same common room as them for the past seven years."

"At least you weren't the one on the other end of their pranks," said Layla. "I still get nightmares about the time I grew hair all over my body in second year like a freaking gorilla."

"How about the time they set dozens of pixies free in our common room in third year?" Diana reminded her, shuddering at the thought. "Two of the pixies had grabbed my hair and kept pulling at it. I doubt I've ever used so many cursed words at once. My mother would've had a stroke if she heard me that day." The other two girls sniggered at that.

"You have strict parents, then, huh?" Marlene asked as the three girls stood outside the store, waiting for Remus and Peter.

"Oh, big time." Diana nodded gravely, immediately reminded of the arranged marriage her parents had planned for her and Evan Rosier.

Before she could get lost in that dark train of thoughts, thankfully Remus and Peter emerged from the store, carrying three bags full of Zonko's products.

"What were you guys talking about?" Peter asked curiously.

"Oh, nothing much," Diana grinned, trying to change the subject from her parents and her life at home, "we were just talking about how you four used to be a bunch of dicks."

Remus laughed, though Peter blushed. He wasn't used to Diana's foul mouth.

"That we were." Remus nodded, chuckling. "Anyway, where should we go next?"

"Well, I really need to buy my hair and skin products. I'm almost out of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion," said Layla. "Although we can just buy it at the end of the day, on our way back to the castle."

"Did you know that James's dad was the inventor of that potion?" Remus informed.

"Awesome!" Layla grinned. "Well, thank him for me. It's been a life savor."

"Should we go to Three Broomsticks?" said Peter, his stomach already grumbling for food and Butterbeer.

"Good idea." Marlene nodded eagerly, and so they all made their way across the crowded village and crossed the road, and in a few minutes they finally reached the tiny inn.

As always, the Three Broomsticks was extremely crowded, noisy, warm, and smoky, with a welcoming scent of Butterbeer filling the place. They made their way to the back of the room, where there was a small, vacant table beside the fireplace and sat down.

"Does everyone want Butterbeer? I'm going to give the orders to Madam Rosmerta," said Remus, and everyone nodded in respond, pitching in their share of money for their drinks. "All right. I'll be back with the drinks."

"And I need to use the loo," said Diana, standing up along with Remus before they both left the table.

Peter glanced awkwardly at Layla and Marlene, who were both sitting there in silence. Peter never understood how Sirius was always so smooth with girls, or how James could always be so confident. He was getting nervous just by sitting alone with the two girls, one of whom he had only met today. He couldn't think of a single thing he could say.

So, gulping, Peter shot up to his feet. "I'll... um... I'll go help Remus carry the drinks here." And with that, he left the table abruptly, almost running away.

"Was he feeling okay?" Layla raised her brows, watching Peter leave.

"Yeah, that's just Peter." Marlene shook a hand at her to brush the matter off.

"So... tell me, Marlene," Layla started, leaning forward and resting her elbows on the table, "why are you here?"

"Er... what?"

"I mean, Diana and Remus can't go on a date alone today for their own complicated reasons. Peter is obviously too shy to go on a date with a girl. But how about you?"

Marlene shrugged, trying not to show on her face how nervous and uncomfortable she was getting. "What about me?"

"Well, you are a pretty girl, and you seem confident. Why aren't you on a date today?" Layla mused, still smiling. "Is there someone you like?"

"I — well — I'm not exactly the dating type." Marlene let out a small, nervous laughter, but she could feel her cheeks heating up. "You... you really think I'm pretty?"

"Of course." Layla shrugged casually, leaning back on her chair. "So? Is there any guy you fancy? I can help you with it, if you like."

Marlene pursed her lips together for a moment, looking down at her hands, where she kept them on the table. "Nah, it's fine. I'm just — er..."

"Sick of guys?"

"That's one way of putting it, I suppose..."

"I know, right!?" Layla scoffed, shaking her head. "Recently, I actually rather hang out with my girl friends way more. I'm so sick of guys lately. I mean, I have enjoyed fooling around with them in the past, but they are So. Freaking. Boring."

Layla rolled her eyes playfully, making Marlene chuckle.

Soon, their conversation faded away as one by one, Peter, Remus, and Diana returned to table, each grabbing a hot bottle of Butterbeer.

While the others were busy talking about the politics and the latest news in the Daily Prophet, Layla moved her chair closer to Marlene, who was sitting beside her. She then raised her bottle of Butterbeer and clicked it to Marlene's glass.

"To us girls," Layla told her quietly, winking.

Marlene smiled, her cheeks turning pink. "Yeah... to us."