Chapter 104

Remus had looked away from Diana, his gaze fixed on nowhere with his mouth slightly hanging open in shock. He had been silent for so long that it was beginning to make Diana even more nervous than before.

     "Can you please say something?" Diana whispered, her lips shaking as she looked over at him.

     When he failed to answer her, she went on, saying, "Remus, please understand that it wasn't my choice. I would rather die than marry that horrible murderer! He's —"

   "How could they be doing this to you?" Remus muttered under his breath at last, though he was still not looking at Diana. "Your parents — they're monsters!"

Diana gaped at him. She felt slightly calmer, but her heart was still beating mercilessly in her chest, aching in misery.

     "I don't know what to do. I don't want this life that my parents have chosen for me," she said, hugging her knees to her chest as they were both still seated on the dusty stair. "I don't want to marry him."

     "You don't have to!" Remus finally turned to look at her, grabbing her hands and holding them tightly in his. "We — we'll come up with something. We'll find a way out of it. We can't — I... I can't..." He gulped, whispering weakly, "I can't let them take you away from me."

     To prevent herself from bursting into tears, Diana sprang forward and threw herself into his arms, clutching at his sweatshirt as he held her tight for dear life.

     "I don't know what to do," Diana repeated herself in a shaky voice, her whole body trembling against him as he wrapped his arms around her even tighter.

     "But that's not all. There's another thing." Diana sniffed, pulling back to look at him again after a minute or two spent in silence. "I had a vision. It... it was about you."

"Me?" Remus blinked a few times in confusion. "What did you see?"

Diana didn't know how to put the words together and had no idea how she could possibly break this to him. So, she decided to be quick with it, like pulling off a bandage.

"The vision was of you and Rosier," she said, pausing. "He had killed you."

Remus stared at her through wide eyes, the shock cursing through his mind. He didn't speak, and so Diana took it upon herself to go on.

"I don't know how to explain it — because honestly, I don't even know how it works myself — but I felt it. In the vision, I felt that breaking off the wedding and not marrying Evan had somehow lead through a path that ends with your death, years from now."

Remus shook his head after long seconds of silence. "Maybe it a wrong prediction. I mean, none of the visions you've had so far have become true. Half of them didn't even make any sense, according to you."

"I had always doubted my abilities in the past, but now that I've thought back at... almost all of them connect to each other," she said. "I had seen a full moon inside the Crystal Orb before I even knew you were a werewolf. On the first day we met, when our hands touched, I had a horrible, cold, and dark feeling that felt like death. And a few months ago, I kept dreaming of a Grim; that's the omen of death. And now this."

Remus laughed lightly in hopes of decreasing the tension. "Are you trying to scare me on purpose? 'Cause it's definitely working."

Diana gave him a stern look. "Remus, this is not a joke! It's your life we're talking about. I'm not trying to scare you. I'm trying to warn you, just like how my visions have been warning me. You're in danger. Besides, Rosier threatened me the day we had went to their house. He said that I had to break up with you, otherwise he would hurt you."

"His threats don't mean anything —"

"That's what I had thought, too," Diana cut him off, "until he showed me the Dark Mark on his forearm."

Remus's face crumbled as he watched her, feeling as though he was drowning in his own thoughts, her words echoing through his head. Somehow, it seemed as if he hadn't even heard the part about his own death. All he could think about was Diana.

     It was already horrific that she was being forced to marry someone she despised, but it made everything much more horrible now that the man she had to marry was a Death Eater. A killer.

They weren't even married yet and Rosier was already blackmailing Diana and threatening to hurt her. Remus didn't want to think about how much worse he would treat her after getting married to her.

Even the mere thought of Rosier hurting her was enough for Remus to wish that he could turn into a werewolf on will. Because, for the first time in his entire life, he wished that he could unleash the beast right at this moment and rip Rosier apart.

Remus began to breathe in and out steadily, in order to calm himself down. He had to keep himself together, for her sake. She needed him, now more than ever. So, he brought her into another comforting hug, holding her closer to himself.

  "We'll find a way, darling," Remus said quietly, placing a soft kiss on top her head as he caressed her long curly hair that had fallen down her back. "I promise."