Chapter 63

"Isn't that just wonderful," said Filch, looking between them with a grin, though it then vanished as he grumbled, "Follow me. Both of you."

The walk down to Filch's office was spent in complete silence and occasional glares that Diana and Remus sent each other every now and then from the corner of their eyes.

Diana had never been to Filch's office before, but Remus had come down here more times than he could count, ever since he had become friends with James, Sirius, and Peter.

As they followed Filch inside, Diana looked around at the dingy and windowless room, which was only lit by a single oil lamp dangling from the low ceiling. Wooden filing cabinets stood around the walls which contained details of all the detentions that Filch had given students throughout the years. James and Sirius had two whole drawers to themselves.

Diana had to hold back the urge to hold her nose in disgust as she felt the faint smell of fried fish that lingered about the place.

"Sit," Filch demanded as he opened the desk drawer and began shuffling around looking for parchment.

Diana and Remus sat down on the wooden chairs which were set against the wall beside his desk.

"Where are all the damn forms... I'm almost out of them, thanks to you and your friends," Filch mumbled, sending a quick glare at Remus.

He retrieved a large roll of parchment from his desk drawer and stretched it out in front of him. He then grabbed an old black quill from the pot on his desk, dipped it quill into the ink pot, and began to write.

"Names... Remus Lupin, and..." he looked up at Diana with narrowed eyes, "your name?"

"Merlin," she answered sincerely.

"Your name, child!" Filch demanded sharply.

She huffed quietly, folding her arms as she muttered, "Diana Greengrass."

"Ugh, damn it!" Filch cursed out loudly when the ink on his quill dribbled over the parchment, leaving a big stain. "That was my last form... never mind. I'm going to go bring another patch. You two better be here when I return."

With a warning glare at their direction, Filch walked out of his office, closing the door behind him and locking it.

"That idiot. We have wands! We can easily open the lock with a simple spell," said Diana crankily.

"If we escape, he'll make it double detention," said Remus without even looking at her. "Trust me. I know from experience."

Diana sighed miserably, leaning her back against the wooden chair. She fell silent as she remained seated rigidly, with her arms still crossed and her eyes fixed stubbornly on the floor.

      No more words were exchanged between the two of them as the minutes passed by. Although the silence was at last broken by Remus as he let out a little sigh.

     "I'm sorry," he whispered distantly, his voice barely audible.

     Diana turned her head to look at Remus, who was sitting on the chair to her left, though he was avoiding her eyes.

     "You — you don't have to say anything," he went on, playing with his fingers sheepishly, "but... it's just that... I didn't get mad at you because I thought you had kissed Sirius. I got mad because — because —"

      Because you had kissed someone that wasn't me, he wanted to say, but the words died on his lips.

      "Because you were my friend, and I didn't want to lose you to someone else," he said instead. He didn't dare to look up into her eyes, afraid of losing control of all his senses and doing something that he would regret.