Chapter 60

The closer Hogwarts Express got to Hogsmeade station, the heavier the falling rain became, pouring across the grounds and hitting against the compartment windows.

     "Oh, cheer up, Black," said Layla after they had all changed into their Hogwarts robes and returned to their compartment. "Do you really want to spend your whole fifth year being cranky? At least save a little bit for the end of the year when your O.W.Ls are up."

     Regulus didn't answer her, his gaze fixed behind the window at the night sky covered by dark and grey clouds, as though it resembled his heart and soul.

     "Leave him be," Diana said quietly. She could tell that despite how Regulus kept saying that he was better off without Sirius in his life, he was still heartbroken that his brother had left him alone.

     "Anyway, I'm so relieved we've dropped Divination," Layla told Diana, leaning back against her seat with a sigh. "My mind was out of fake predictions to make. I couldn't take it for another whole year. But I don't get why you dropped it —"

     Diana silenced her with a look, gesturing at Regulus's direction with her eyebrows. He still didn't know about Diana's condition, and she wanted to keep it that way. The less people who knew this secret, the easier it was for her to forget about it and put it all behind her.

     What she had seen last year during the Divination exam had scared her beyond words could ever express.

     At last, the train slowly halted at the Hogsmeade station and the students got out of their compartments at once, making their way outside. They all made a run for it toward the carriages that awaited them as always. They could still hear the faint voice of Hagrid calling out the first years just like every year before.

     "I don't fancy going through the Black Lake in this weather. Yikes." Layla shivered at the mere thought as their carriage lurched up the lane and toward the castle.

     "Let's hurry inside," said Regulus as soon as their carriage stopped in front of the castle doors.

     "Agreed. I worked all day to get my hair look this way," said Layla with a grin, pointing at her pretty afro.

     Layla went first, exiting the carriage and running toward the castle as fast as her legs could carry her. Regulus took out his robe and held it above his head before following Layla away.

     Diana was last to get out of the carriage. She didn't mind getting soaked by the rain and in fact she quite liked it, so she was in no rush to run into the castle like her friends.

     Although as soon as she got out of the coach, she froze on the spot when she spotted Remus, getting out of the carriage behind hers. His friends were first to get out, running toward the castle. But Remus had raised his wand, conjuring an almost-transparent umbrella above his head. It was a beautiful charm, creating a shield for the caster against the pouring rain.

     Diana shivered through the cold, though she completely forgot about the rain. Mustering all her courage, she took a deep breath and quickened her pace, trying to catch up with Remus who was making his way over the castle.

     "Lupin!" Diana called out to him, her sound slightly fainter against the pouring rain that hit the ground mercilessly.

     Even so, she could tell that he had heard her, because at the sound of someone calling his name, Remus came to a stop. He threw a glance behind his shoulder, but then to Diana's confusion and surprise, he turned his head away again and kept on walking toward the castle doors.

     Diana stood there transfixed on the spot underneath the pouring rain. She had no idea what had just happened or why he had ignored her this way. She could never understand him.

     Diana had been making excuses for him all summer as to why he hadn't written back to her. Maybe her owl was brainless and kept losing the way. Or maybe he was too busy and hadn't read the letters, or was on a trip. But now she wasn't so sure. He was clearly ignoring her, yet the reason behind it was completely a mystery to her.

      "Fine. Be a brat," Diana mumbled under her breath grumpily before walking angrily into the castle.

     She joined Regulus and Layla in the Great Hall at the Slytherin table. Layla used her wand to dry off Diana with a simple charm, and so they all waited for the feast to begin.

     The first years came through the Great Hall doors for the sorting ceremony, led by Professor McGonagall as always. They were all soaking wet from the rain, though none of them seemed to mind as they were too in awe at the magnificent castle, the floating candles above them, and the ceiling that was bewitched to look like the night sky.

The feast was as amazing as ever, though Diana couldn't find it in herself to enjoy it. She hated the unfamiliar feeling inside her stomach whenever she thought of Remus.

She used to be fine with being called the heartless girl of slytherin, or with the fact that people assumed she was empty of any emotions. This had been what Diana had thought of herself as well.

But now, she hated that she was hurt at the way he had ignored her, as though she was invisible. As though she had never existed. As though he had forgotten all the laughter, all the teasing arguments, and all he smiles they had shared.

"Merlin, I'm so tired I can sleep for two days straight," said Layla after the feast was over, getting up from the Slytherin table along with her friends to leave the Great Hall.

Although just as they were about to step down the marble staircase and get to the dungeons, their attention was caught when they heard rushed footsteps nearing them.

Turning around, Diana's stomach suddenly lurched when she saw that it was Remus, pacing quickly toward them to catch up with them.

"Yes?" Diana folded her arms as Remus reached them, giving him a firm look.

She tried to hold onto a stern face, though her heart was racing while thinking about the possible things he might tell her. But what he said next hadn't even crossed her mind.

"Professor Dumbledore would like to see you in his office," Remus told Diana simply .

Diana frowned in confusion. "What?"

"I said Professor Dumbledore w—"

"I heard what you said the first time," Diana cut him off coldly.

She then sent a look behind her shoulder at her friends. As though immediately realizing what she meant, Layla tugged at Regulus's sleeve, dragging him down the marble staircase to give the two some privacy.

Diana finally looked back at Remus. "Is that all you wanted to say to me?"

Remus shrugged. "What else was I supposed to say?"

Diana's face fell. Her heart sank in her chest. The feeling of hurt resurfaced as she stared back at him blankly.

"How about not writing back to me even once? Or how you just ignored me when we had arrived?" she snapped, all the sadness she had been bottling up suddenly surging through the form of anger.

Remus gazed back into her eyes, his jaw clenching. He was silent for a while, as though struggling to speak. As if struggling to search for the right words to say.

For a short second, his brown eyes travelled down toward her lips, but then, as quick as it had happened, he shook his head to snap himself out of his thoughts and took a step back from her.

"The password to his office is Cauldron Cake," said Remus, and so, before Diana could stop him, he turned on his heel and made his way up the marble staircase without another word.