Chapter 90

Eyes wide and hearts beating fast because of the sudden shock, Remus and Diana jolted away from each other, their heads snapping toward the dorm's doorway, where a girl with red hair stood, staring at them with horror in her green eyes.

"Lily?" Remus said breathlessly, taking a step back from Diana. "What are you doing here?"

"Me?" Lily retorted angrily, throwing her gaze away from him as her face flushed red. "You're the one who needs some explaining to do! And for the love of God, could you just please cover yourself up!?"

"Wha — oh, shoot!" Remus cursed under his breath when he realized that he was still standing there shirtless, with his sweater thrown on the floor.

He quickly went and picked it up, wearing it while Lily had her back to the two of them, grumbling to herself angrily. Diana tried to tidy her messed up hair as well, but it seemed absolutely pointless. She felt like her face was on fire as it heated up in embarrassment. She wished that she could just melt into the ground and never reappear again.

"Okay," Remus said awkwardly after he had put on his baggy sweater, his cheeks a deep shade of pink. "Lily, how about you just leave for now and I — I'll talk to you later."

"Leave?" Lily repeated, turning around sharply to face him again. "I'm not leaving until you explain yourself, Remus Lupin! You're a prefect! I thought you were supposed to be the responsible one!"

"I know, I know —" Remus was trying to say, but Lily cut him off as she rambled on.

Meanwhile, Diana slowly backed away toward the dorm's window, looking down at it to see if it wasn't too high to jump.

Damn it, she thought to herself grimly. Better face the wrath of Evans than break my neck, I suppose.

"Remus, you should know that we're not allowed to bring anyone here from other Houses, let alone get this cozy with them!" said Lily, placing her hands on her hips. "Taken a page out of the Sirius Black book, have you?"

I take it back. Maybe a broken neck wouldn't be too bad after all...

"A few of the students in the common room told me that they saw a Slytherin girl run up the boys' dormitory," Lily went on, slightly calmer this time. "I came up here to ask you if you had seen anyone, and apparently you have."

Remus opened his mouth in an attempt to explain himself, but this time it was Diana who beat him into it, finally speaking up as she mustered all her courage.

"Listen, Evans. I'm really sorry for coming up here. I know what I did was wrong and it's completely reasonable if you take points off me," Diana began to say, looking over at Lily, "but that doesn't justify the fact that you're here."

Lily raised a brow at her, crossing her arms. "Excuse me?"

"Girls aren't allowed up in the boys' dormitory, and that includes you," said Diana, a little smirk now playing at the edge of her lips. "That's the school rule. It was mentioned in Hogwarts: A History, chapter four, to be exact. But you probably know that, don't you? Being a prefect."

Remus immediately threw his gaze away, biting the inside of his cheeks hard to prevent himself from bursting out with laughter. The shocked and furious look on Lily's face was absolutely priceless.

"Fine," she finally said after a long pause, glaring between the two of them before leaving the dorm and disappearing out of sight.

Remus and Diana stood there facing the door for a moment longer, before they both burst into laughter.