Chapter 122

The crowd went still. All eyes were now on Diana, her words ringing to their ears.

"Diana," her mother's warning tone reached her. "Whatever do you think you're doing, you stupid child!"

"You heard me mother," Diana whispered gravely, pulling the veil off her face and taking out her wand. "I object!"

"DIANA, NO —" her mother screamed, Evan reached out for his wand, her brother had rushed to his feet.

But they were all too late.

Diana had already Disapparated, vanishing into thin air.

***

By the time Diana found her way to that town, the sun had already sunk into the sky. She stepped into the darkness, aware of her surroundings. No stars to light up the sky, not even the lustre of the moon could break through the impervious mask. They were somewhere behind the haze of black clouds  covering the sky.

     Her mind was a blur with stress, her breaths coming out rapidly as she walked across the town. She could feel everyone's eyes on her, her white dress dragging behind her.

    Wanting to escape the attention she was receiving, Diana decided to walk from one shadowy alleyway to another, trying to find her way to his house.

     After the attack on his family, they had went into hiding and temporarily moved to another place, hidden in a small Muggle village. There had never been a record of witches and wizards living there, mostly because of its many churches and the history of its people burning witches centuries before.

     But Diana knew he lived here now, and she wasn't going to rest until she found him.

     Diana was growing tired. The town was large, and she couldn't go around asking anyone for direction to his house, because maybe he was living here with his parents under fake names. Hours had already passed, and she was growing tired, her feet burning in pain from all the walking.

     So, taking out her wand, she cast a spell to get rid of her high heels, turning them into flat shoes so she could keep on walking. 

      And that was when she saw it, and she just knew; just as she reached the end of the town, she saw a small wooden house with two floors, almost crooked if you paid close attention to it. It looked odd, as though it wasn't assembled with hands.

     But rather... with magic.

     This had to be it.

     No lights were coming from inside the house. It was near midnight. Were they not home? Or were they already sleeping?

     Either way, Diana had to take her chances.

She tiptoed around the house. There were two rooms upstairs. And at last, from outside she saw a Gryffindor flag hung on the wall of one of the rooms, even though its window was closed and everything else was dark inside.

     So, with the help of everything her mother had disapproved of, her old unladylike habits came to her aid and she began to climb up the tree right beside the house. The branches were thick and old, so she could rest assured that they wouldn't break under her weight. Although her lacy veil and long dress certainly weren't helping, getting stuck to the leaves and branches every few seconds.

"Damn you!" Diana whispered angrily under her breath, trying to untangle her veil for the third time, until she finally reached the room on the second floor.

She climbed up to its windowsill outside and sat there, beginning to fumble with the window and slowly pushing it up, opening it.

Everything was dark and quiet inside, except for a gentle sound of someone's steady breaths, in and out.