Chapter 78

Later that night in the Slytherin common room, Diana was brutally attacked by Layla's screams and squeals of happiness after receiving the news, meanwhile Regulus only grinned to himself knowingly. Although Layla certainly spared no expense in mocking Diana.

     "Oh, I don't see myself ever settling down with anyone! I don't see myself in a relationship with any human being!" Layla kept on going in a high and lofty voice and moved her hands dramatically as she spoke, before looking at Diana. "That was you last year."

Diana smiled bitterly. "Are you done?"

"Yup." Layla nodded.

"Good." Diana then kicked her in the foot as they were sitting around a table in the common room.

"Ouch!" Layla cried out in pain, holding her knee as she glared at Diana. "Violence isn't always the answer, you know."

"Oh, I know. Violence is the question, and the answer is yes." Diana winked at her, making Regulus snigger.

"What are you so cheerful about?" Layla turned to face him sharply. "I thought you hated Lupin. While I've been here saying they would make a cute couple, you told me that you didn't trust him because there is a reason he hangs around with your brother and James Potter and Peter Pettigrew."

"Wait, when did you two have a conversation about me and him?" Diana questioned in surprise.

"Last year. When you two had gone to Hogsmeade together on Valentine's day." Layla shrugged coolly.

"I didn't trust Lupin. I still don't. But I know he likes her a lot, and so does she," Regulus explained, flipping through the pages of his Herbology book. "That's all that should matter, shouldn't it?"

Grinning, Diana nudged him playfully with her elbow. "Since when did you become such an understanding and romantic human being?"

"I'm not a romantic, and I've always been understanding," Regulus said defensively.

"If you say so," Layla said with a teasing smirk.

"So..." Diana started after a short pause, while Regulus was busy glaring at Layla's grinning face. "Do you two think this whole thing is a good idea?"

"Of course it is!" Layla exclaimed loudly, causing a few heads in the common room turn in their direction curiously. "Oh, come on, Diana! This is the best thing that could ever happen! And we only want the best things for our brother."

Diana chuckled as Layla ruffled up her hair. "You're right, you're right. Nothing bad's gonna happen. I mean, what would happen when sassy meets sarcastic?"

"The world will come to an end, that's what," Regulus said with a little grin, making them laugh.

***

Another autumn rain had marked the day as Diana and Layla spent their free period in the library the next morning to catch up with their many essays, while Regulus was in class.

      The two Slytherin girls were sitting at a table by the library's window with many books propped open in front of them that a knocking at the window's glass caught their attention.

      "It's an owl," Layla said with surprise, quickly standing to her feet to open the window and letting the owl inside. Diana looked around worriedly, making sure Madam Pince wasn't in sight to see the bird in her library.

     The brown owl landed on the table right in front of Diana and stuck out his leg for her, to which a small envelope was tied. As soon as Diana freed the owl from the letter, the bird flopped his wings and flew out the window again. Layla closed the window while Diana started opening the envelope, so the bitter cold wind wouldn't blow inside.