Chapter 105

Diana and Remus left the secret passageway long after curfew, deciding to return back to their common rooms. Remus suggested taking a longer path so they coule avoid running into Filch, or worse, Peeves.

"I forgot to ask, by the way," Diana started as they were walking down a dim hallway, "did you get the badge?"

"Badge?"

"Yeah. You know, the Head Boy badge."

"Oh!" Remus nodded in realization. He had been so distracted that he hadn't understand what she was referring to at first. "No, I didn't."

"Then who got it?"

"Lily and James."

"Oh... Well, Lily deserved it. She's wonderful," said Diana. "Who's James?"

Remus gave her a funny look. "What do you mean who's James? James is James."

"Hold up!" Diana stopped walking, putting her hands up. "James Potter? The James Potter is the new Head Boy?"

Remus chuckled. "How many other Jameses do you know?"

"I know James Conan; he's a second year Slytherin boy, but even he's more likely to get the badge than James Potter!"

"True." Remus laughed. "But he's really changed, you know. He'd been studying all year, last year. Got top grades. Stopped fooling around and getting into detentions. Sirius was disappointed in him, of course, but it seemed as though James finally decided to grow up."

"Well, now that's a surprising turn of events." Diana grinned. "Although, I thought only prefects could become Head."

"We had all thought so, too. But turns out, it's not a necessary factor," said Remus.

He then sniggered as he remembered something. "Believe me, James was more shocked than any of us. At first he thought we were pranking him. But then when we swore in the letters that it wasn't us, James sent a letter to Dumbledore, because he thought the badge was supposed to be given to me and was accidentally sent to him instead."

"Did you get disappointed that you didn't get it?"

"Not at all." He shook his head, smiling. "I was actually really happy when I found out he got it."

"How come?"

"Well, James has been head over heels in love with Lily for ages. This actually gives him a good reason to spend more time with her, and honestly, I think Lily is starting to come around."

"About time." Diana sniggered, remembering the look on Evans's face whenever Potter made a move on her in classes or in the Great Hall.

"They're actually together right now," said Remus, checking the time on his watch. "They must be patrolling the corridors."

"So are you still a prefect?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Well, aren't you supposed to be patrolling the corridors tonight, too? I feel like I have taken you away from your duties."

"It's fine. I'm sure the other prefects are handling it." He shook a hand at her reassuringly. "Besides, you... you were more important," he said the last part more quietly as he looked away from her shyly, a blush descending on his cheeks.

Diana found herself smiling again, and so she reached out to hold his hand as they walked down the hallway.

When the path began to get dimmer, Remus took out his wand and muttered, "Lumos!" and lightened the way.