Chapter 81

***

***

The next day proceeded as before. Remus was missing from the Great Hall during the meals and classes, nowhere to be found. Diana knew he was in the hospital wing at the moment, and at sunset he would be going to the Shrieking Shack with the help of Madam Pomfrey for his transformation.

Diana really wished that she could visit him at the hospital wing, but Remus reassured her that he had enough company, and it was too dangerous for her to tag along.

With the arrival of the night, Layla began to get ready in their dorm for the Slughorn party, while Diana was laying in bed with her back leaned against the headboard, reading a book. The rest of the girls in their dorm were downstairs in the common room, most likely studying together. Diana never liked them to begin with, and was grateful for tonight's privacy in their dorm.

Diana wasn't exactly paying attention to what she was reading, her mind far away. She couldn't stop thinking about Remus, an ache growing in her each time she thought of all the pain he was going through tonight. Diana wished that there had been something she could do to help him, but she'd read every book she could get her hands on in the Hogwarts library, but there was no mention of a cure anywhere.

"Hey, could you help me with this?" It was Layla's voice that snapped Diana out of her thoughts at last.

"What?" Diana questioned, glancing at her friend sideways.

"This." Layla raised up a magazine in her hand as she was sitting in front of the mirror. It was a copy of the Witch Weekly.

Diana put her bookmark between the pages and closed her book, placing it down on the bed before walking up to Layla to see what she was talking about.

"I read about a new spell here — see this?" Layla pointed at the page in the magazine. "It's to make the curls look bigger and shinier. I really wanted to try it. Could you do it for me? I can't reach the back of my hair."

"Er... yeah, sure. Can't be that hard." Diana shrugged, taking out her wand. She took the magazine from Layla's hand to read about the spell, muttering the incantation under her breath a few times as practice.

"Okay..." Diana nodded after a while and placed down the magazine after looking at it one last time, and got to work.

She picked a strand of Layla's dark and wet hair, just out of shower, and wrapped the strand around her wand, saying loudly and clearly, "Comas Melior!"

The strand of hair began to grow into a beautiful curl, shining under the dorm light.

"Oooh, nice!" Layla grinned as she looked back at her reflection in the mirror with fascination. "Great, do the rest as well."