Chapter 50

For their Easter break, all the teachers had given the fifth years so much homework that Diana thought she was likely to graduate from Hogwarts before she finished it.

     Regulus didn't need to study as much as them because he was in his fourth year and so didn't have O.W.Ls until next year, but he still accompanied Diana and Layla to the library some days, reading books.

     Shortly before the end of the Easter holidays, Diana and Layla walked down from their dorm and into the Slytherin common room only to find a few people gathered around the notice board.

     "What's that?" Layla questioned, moving closer with Diana to see what was the new note hanging on the board.

CAREER ADVICE

All fifth years will be required to attend a short meeting with their Head of House during the beginning of the new term, in which they will be given the opportunity to discuss their future careers. Times of individual appointments are listed below.

     There were also a batch of pamphlets, leaflets, and notices concerning various Wizarding careers appeared on the tables in their common room. While Layla had gone to pick up one of the catalogs and the leaflets, Diana checked the list for her name, seeing that she was expected in Professor Slughorn's office in a few weeks on a Monday, at ten-thirty. Which meant it was right after her Ancient Runes class.

***

"Listen to this one," Layla said on the last evening of the holidays. They were sitting in the common room with Regulus, looking through the career leaflets. "'Are you seeking a challenging career involving travel, adventure, and substantial, danger-related treasure bonuses? Then consider a position with Gringotts Wizarding Bank, who are currently recruiting Curse-Breakers for thrilling opportunities abroad...' That sounds cool — wait, no. They actually want Arithmancy."

      "Didn't you want to become a Potioneer?" Diana asked Layla, not bothering to read any of the leaflets.

     "I did... but I've been having so much progress in spells and curses. I've actually become the top student among the fifth year Slytherins when it comes to wand work."

     "What about this one?" Regulus started, who was looking through their catalogs as well. "It's for the Department of Magical Law Enforcement."

     "I've read that one. Being an Auror sounds pretty cool, too." Layla grinned.

     "It's not about being cool. You have to actually like catching and chasing after Dark Wizards and Witches for a living. And with everything that's going on right now... that's probably the most dangerous career you can pursue," Diana reasoned, but Layla only scoffed.

     "Ha! I laugh in the face of danger."

     "What career do you want, then? I haven't seen you look at even one of these," Regulus asked Diana.

     "No point." She shrugged. "Father wants me to work with him at the Ministry. It's some stupid desk job, but there's no way out of it."

     "Oh, come on. There must be something you would like to do," said Layla. "Like... don't you want to be a professional Quidditch player or something? Working at the Ministry in a boring office doesn't sound much like you."

     Diana sighed. "Trust me, as long as I'm stuck with my parents, it doesn't matter what I like to do."

***