Risk. 24

Jonny

After winning the first game against the Red Wings we lose the next three. It wasn't easy, it actually sucked more than anything we experienced yet this season. The series wasn't over but we were better than this. We knew we were the best team on the ice at any given time and that's the worst part. Never should have been in this position yet here we are.

I finish up with the interviews and I stay a little longer after the game. Usually I'm out the door but we were on the brink of elimination and I was gonna stay back and see what I can do to make what could be one of the greatest comebacks of this time happen.

As I linger around guys shuffle through the door. The equipment managers finish up and the coaches head on out. I was one of the last ones out as I start to walk to my car. I feel a pair of eyes on me and start to look around. I recognize a reporter standing against the wall along the hallways to the parking garage.

At first I was gonna walk past but he suddenly props himself off the wall to follow behind me. Knowing all too well that I wasn't getting away without him saying what he needed to say I decided to entertain whatever it is he wanted to say. So I turn around to confront him. I recognize him immediately, he worked for someone in the media industry. But his badge was gone and this seemed to be a off the book conversation.

"Listen, I told you everything you need to know about this series. We're doing everything we can to win what more do you want" I ask.

"Emilia Phillips" is all he says making me freeze. My eyebrows quickly furrow as I step in closer in case someone else is listening.

"Keep that name out of your mouth" I warn.

"What about Kenneth Marshall? Or Jasmine Hunter" he continues. I feel the fire ignite in me as my fists start to clench. "You know, when you give two kids and their guardian a puck before a game once no one notices. But when they go up and sit with your parents you start to question. We notice you look up there a lot and things start to make sense. We get a picture of the interaction and realize it happens most games. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out" he claims.

"I don't know what your game is but I really suggest you never say those names ever again" I threaten.

"Or what? You're not gonna hurt me? You can't touch me or you'll end up like Patrick, never being able to live it down. And the story of the great captain falling for a sweet schoool girl and the two Chicago kids she took in will sell just as good as the president trophy winners getting knocked out in the second round" he claims.

"First of all, we're not done yet. Until that final horn sounds we still have all the belief in the world that we are going to win this series.

And two, if I see any of their names on anything you print I will make sure you never work in this field again. They won't even let you cover a t-ball game. You ever come at me, and my family, you'll wish you never seen what you saw" I promise.

"It's gonna get out. I'm just trying to give you a jump on it. A chance to say a few words on behalf of them" he tries.

"The only words I have for you right now is fuck you. Fuck you for willingly uprooting something great just for views. Fuck you for spying on me and my family taking away our privacy. Fuck you for threatening to put someone who doesn't owe you shit in the limelight" I mutter.

"Jonny I'm not your enemy here" he defends.

"Yes actually you are. Because of people like you I didn't think a relationship like the one I had was possible. I thought you would ruin it all with the crap you guys sell. Never caring to check to make sure what you guys say is true" I accuse.

"But you just asssured me that what I thought was true. I at least gave you that" he tries.

"You know their names... that's all. You think you can figure out what kind of shit we have been through from one interaction, from one picture that you know what is going on? You haven't a clue. You sit behind your keyboard and create stories. I'm living it and I would really appreciate if you left it at that. You don't know Emilia, what she does to make this family work. You don't know Ken and his dreams or Jas and her wild imagination.

So I'm going to say this once more for good measure. If I see anything, and if you post I'll find it, there is no place you will go where someone will hire you. I'll make sure everyone knows what kind of awful human being you are. To invade a mans privacy after he has done so much for the community" I insist.

"Well if you're so sure you're going to win this series then I guess I won't need my hard hitting story" he tries.

"We're going to win this series. And not for you but for the city and the organization and the players. We're going to win just to spite you" I promise.

I get into my car before slamming the door shut behind me. My head rests on the steering wheel for a while as I think. Was threatening that mans who life's work the best idea? Probably not. But you come at my life I come at yours. As simple as that.

I drive home and find the kids already tucked in. So I pray with them like I do every night I'm home and mosey off to the kitchen. There I find Emilia fixing two cups a tea. This girl is crazy about her tea, claims it heals body's and souls. I just like the taste.

She hands me a cup and I don't take it immediately. A soft sigh passes my lips as I take the cup from her.

"Something happened" I tell her.

"Are you okay" she asks and I smile. The concern she had for me was much appreciated. But I was more worried about her.

"I'm fine. I got into a... non physical altercation with a media member after everyone had gone home" I start to explain.

"Why was he there after everyone was supposed to be gone" she wonders.

"He was there to confront me about being with you. About taking in Jas and Ken" I say.

The room falls silent as her eyes start to darken. I don't want her to worry but this involved her so she needs to know. "Baby I assure you he won't say anything. If he does he knows the consequences but I truly don't think he would do that. I wish I was a little more descrete or didn't get so caught up in the moment whenever you guys are around" I say.

"I always knew the risks Jon. From the first day I knew that who you are to this city, to this sport, we weren't going to hide forever. But to me it was worth it. Every second of it" she promises me.

She places a soft kiss on my forehead and I smile. It's good to know one of us is level headed around here.