Success .41

Emilia

The first day of school holds a lot of different emotions for people. For someone like Ken it was pure excitement. He loved back to school shopping and couldn't wait to meet his classmates. See who he sits at a table with and who is going to be his best friend. This is his first time actually sitting in a class and he couldn't wait to see what was in store for him. Then there's people like Jasmine who was stepping into a whole new world. The middle school was just a few blocks away from the grade school but it seemed like a different continent to her. There's different classes and electives that she has to choose. You're no longer sitting in one class all day, you have to spread your wings and figure things out on your own. Even in this poor district there is a big discrepancy between grade and middle school and she's going to have to face adversity head on. But I believe in her.

Me? I was more than ready for this year. We were over the limit again for kids in classes and no new books so it was going to be a challenge. And no calling grandpa to complain anymore either. We were at ground zero but it was a sturdy ground zero. Thanks to Jon my room was feeling like home and I know that I have people in my corner. The first day of school is hard because I don't know these kids and they don't know me. The trust and respect isn't there yet. But it's just the beginning of another wonderful journey I get to go on.

"Alright class settle down" I start as all the kids find their seats. The talking continues at a quieter level as they catch up with their friends. Which I don't mind because relationships at this age is important but we needed to be on the same page about when is time to relax and when it's time to focus.

"Is there a Lemond here" I ask looking over my roster and the room finally gets quiet. A kid in the back of the room stands up and I nod.

"That's me" he says.

"And what is it you want to be when you get older Lemond" I wonder.

"Your husband" he smirks as the class starts to murmur. Looks like I found my class clown, first try too.

"Okay, say in some alternate universe we're the same age and we get married. Then what" I ask.

"Excuse me" he questions.

"Surely your life's plan isn't to be a husband. What's your aspirations? Your dreams" I question.

"I want to play football. Get a scholarship and get the hell out of here. I don't need no school man" he tells me.

"Okay. How do you plan to play in college if you don't get a scholarship? You have to at least be eligible to bo to college let alone be on the team. If you want to play in the NFL you have to play at least three years of college, and in order to get into college you have to do well in high school. And I'm not talking about straight A's, if your further education is a sport you don't need to be perfect in school. But you have to know about the world you live in and about responsibility, respect, trust.

It might not seem like it but that starts here young man. And I will be in the stands cheering you on as you take the field in the NFL, but you only get there by showing respect here.

So if you will, please find your seat and we will get started" I insist.

"Yes ma'am" he nods.

He sits down and we get the ball rolling. I learn names and faces and give them all the chance to tell the world who they are. In this school we're supposed to have a dress code but I don't enforce it. I fully believe in individuality and expression. So they decorate their desks with stickers and sharpies. I let them do this every year since we never get anything new. It shows history and it shows growth. By the end of the year they'll look at that desk with whole new eyes, hopefully more mature and more happy eyes.

I walk over to Lemonds desk and laugh when I see my name on there.

"You know I have a boyfriend right" I ask him.

"Yeah. Some hockey player" he scoffs.

"Jonny is a wonderful man, who just so happens to be a hockey player" I defend.

"You need a man who plays a real sport" he accuses as I raise a eyebrow.

"You know some of those guys clock in nearly 30 miles per hour? They're going that fast while trying to carry a puck and not get hit. They spend more time playing on that ice than football players considering a play only lasts a few seconds while Jon can be on the ice during a whole power play and penalty kill. Let's not forget hockey players don't just need speed and endurance but strength and athleticism. I'm not saying hockey is better than football but I'm saying that what Jonathan does is no cake walk.

Being a professional athlete isn't endless girls and money. It's personal sacrifice. It's putting your body on the line every time you are out there. It's people telling you you can't until you prove that you can.

Dream of being a professional athlete but don't think for a second your path is going to be any easier than anyone else in this room. Talent is something but it isn't everything" I insist.

"It's not like you play" he accuses.

"You're right. I don't. But the world doesn't make an acceptation if you do. It's a mean place out there and I want to see you succeed. I will be one of your biggest fans because I believe in you. We might have just met but I can tell you will go far if you put all that effort you put into being funny into yourself craft" I assure him.

"My old man doesn't even believe in me" he mumbles.

"That's okay. He doesn't have what you need to succeed. You do. And you can make the most out of your life if you have the courage to do it" I say.

"You really think I'll make it out of here" he says with a small smile.

"Of course. And if you're good and we don't have any problems I'll have Jon come out and he can give you everything you need to know about what it means to be a professional athlete" I promise.

"Deal" he smiles.

The first day of school comes to a end and I found it a success. I know this world is changing and we need to change with it. People won't agree with what I teach and how I teach it but it doesn't matter what they say. These kids matter and now we have a good start.

I pick Kenny up from kindergarten and he just had the biggest smile on his face. He had three stickers on his shirt and the brightest sparkle in his eyes. Just beaming about how much he loves school.

We pick up Jasmine and it was time to go home. We find Jon in the apartment with a "welcome back" sign and a bunch of food prepared.

"What's this" I laugh.

"I think I experienced empty nest syndrome today. Not a fan" he admits.

"This is actually adorable" I giggle.

"I'm just really happy you guys are home" he sighs.

"Happy to be here" I nod.