Amen. 8

Jonathan

With the hockey season over a month in we start to reach territories that have never been reached before. I'm talking about record setting. We only have 48 games this season to figure this shit out and being 17 games in we won 14 of them and the other three were losses in over time. We were untouchable out there, it was stuff they make up in stories. Every line was clicking, the goalies are standing on their heads. It's the kind of hockey you dream of playing when you were just a little boy playing on the streets. And I got to be in the middle of it all.

The city was buzzing, fans were happy to have hockey back and happy to have something to cheer for. I was happy to give them something that puts a smile on their face. For a while my faith in my sport was shaken, not broken but defiantly messed up. I didn't really know what to think about coming back to hockey and trying to move forward like I wasn't hurt by the lockout. But we're back now and I was lucky enough to have something here outside of the game that I can look forward to also.

Late this cool night after a game I decide to go visit Emilia and Kenneth. It was Friday so Emmy didn't have work tomorrow so she should still be up. I knock on her door and she answers it quickly. As soon as the door opens her lips were on mine and I felt whole again.

"I missed you too" I whisper as we break apart. She smiles up at me making my heart beat against my chest. How I adore this woman.

She welcomes me in and I find her place a mess. Kenneth was sitting in the middle of the floor surrounded by cups and bags and gloves among other things.

"What is this" I ask.

"I noticed some of the kids in my class don't have a lot to cover up with this winter. Some kids have to wait for the bus for twenty minutes out in the cold and it's freezing out there. So Kenny and I came up with little gift bags filled with things they can use to stay safe out there this winter. There's gloves and hand and feet warmers, fluffy socks and hats. I'm also setting up the classroom to brew hot water and they're getting their own reusable cups with thier names on it and hot chocolate packages to make during the day or to take home. The heat in the school isn't the best but I have blankets and coats I store there to keep them warm" she explains.

I just shake my head because she claims not to be a mother but it sounds like she's got 30 kids and knows pretty well what to do with them.

"Did you pay for this with your own money" I ask her.

"Yeah. When my grandma passed she left her life insurance for me. Though I don't make a lot of money thanks to her I can make my classroom a lot more comfortable and educational. She truly believed in teachers and what they do for this world. For without them the next generation wouldn't know what to do. So everything she had was sold and all her money that was saved up was put into a account. She said that I should take that money and move far away, make a good life for myself, but I don't want that. That money can do so much for so many people. I don't ever use her money for me, that all goes to the kids" she explains.

"So you choose to live in a little apartment and drive a old car and all this stuff because you rather spend the money she left for you on the kids" I connect.

"Pretty much" she shrugs.

"The world doesn't deserve you Emmy" I tell her as she just rolls her eyes at me.

"They deserve better. But for now this is the best that I can do" she claims.

"That's more than anyone else around here does" I remind her.