Ring .64

Jonathan

It's been over a year since Emmy and I's first date and I've been thinking a lot. I know now is pretty chaotic with the school having their resources finally and the Olympics just a few short weeks away. But I felt like the time was right to make a move. To show Emilia how much she means to me and show the world just how little they know about peoples relationships.

Because people will say proposing this soon is too fast or we have time to get married and don't need to do it now. But Emmy and I have shared a lifetime of pain and hurt already. We have proved that our relationship is stronger than anything life will throw at us and I want her to continue on by my side as my wife. I know she wants that too. Then she can share the same last name as me and our kids,  however many we take in or have together. The only future I see is the one she shares with me and I was ready to take that jump.

So I take her grandmothers ring and I find a really nice jewelry store that does costume pieces

So I take her grandmothers ring and I find a really nice jewelry store that does costume pieces. I know she liked her grandmas ring but it was old and it wasn't meant for us. It's worth a lot more now than what George got it for in the 30's but it didn't feel right selling it off and getting a new ring. Our relationship is the best of the old ways and the new. I know I can find a way to show that.

"Hello sir, how many I help you" a sharp dressed man asks as he approaches. I don't know a lot of things about rings but I felt like someone dressed that nice must know what he's talking about.

"I think you can. I have a old ring here from my girlfriends grandparents. Her grandpa gave it to me after he passed last year and I was hoping to use parts of it to make a engagement ring for my girlfriend" I say pulling the ring out. I hand it to the man as he smiles.

"This is quite the antique" he admits.

"They got married in 1934 when they were 18 years old. They stayed together until her grandmother passed in 2008 right before Christmas. Almost 75 years together, I would say that ring is pretty special" I admit.

"You got that right. I've seen some guys in her twice within a week because it didn't work out. To see a ring with three quarters of a century filled with love is honestly a honor" he claims.

"I'm hoping to keep the magic alive. My girlfriend, she is capable of that kind of love and I am lucky. She seemed to have had it all figured out by herself but she made room for me. Showed me that yes I'm fine on my own but I do better when she's by my side. I know I can't capture what we have in a ring, no matter how long we're together it'll never do us justice. But I'm willing to try" I sigh.

"You've come to the right place. I see we have some diamonds in here we can get out and clean and set up in a new ring. Now we just need to find a new holster for them that represents the love you share now. So tell me, what are you looking for" he asks.

"I wish I knew. Rings aren't my thing and they're not hers either. She's a fifth grade teacher so it can't be heavy or distracting. But something the kids can ask her about and she'll smile while telling them all that great things we've been able to do. Even though it won't come close to the things we plan to do. We have a full life together out there waiting for us. I'm not going to miss the chance to show her how much I love her" I admit.

"Then let's get you a ring. The sooner we do the sooner you gets to have everything you dreamed of" he nods.

We look around for a while and he shows me which rings would fit the cut and number of diamonds from her grandmothers ring. There wasn't too many rings that would match but that's okay, I am awful at making decisions. Three times I thought about ruining the surprise and calling her to get her opinion. It's not that I can't do anything without her it's just that I know she knows what she wants and could tell me. But this is still a surprise so I'm going to keep it that way.

"What about that one" I ask pointing to a very unique looking ring.

"You have a good eye

"You have a good eye. That one is more of a abstract kind of ring. Most people think of a engagement ring with one big full stone surrounded by others. But this one doesn't have a stone at the center, instead it's at the bottom while the rest of the ring will craw up the finger. It's both simple and beautiful and we can work your other diamonds into this one. It all be a little harder to fit but I think we can do it" he assures me.

"Will she be able to tell which ones came from her grandparents ring" I question.

"We can put them around the bottom stone and give it more of the yellow Diamond tint. It won't be super obvious but she'll know" he promises.

I pick up the ring as I watch it catch the light. For some reason I just knew this was the right ring, just as I know she's the right one for me.

"I think this is the one" I smile.

"It's not any of my business, but I couldn't agree more" he nods.

"Alrighty then, I guess I'll get this one" I sigh.

"Perfect. We can have the ring done by this time next week and you can pick it up" he tells me.

"Perfect" I cheer.

After paying and leaving the rings in their hands I head on home. It's the end of January and Emilia was trying so hard to make sure her class will be okay without her. She's never taken a vacation while school was in session and she's never missed a day of class. Rightfully so she was nervous about leaving them with someone who doesn't know them as well as she does. Who doesn't love them like she does. But she's set them up so that even in her absence they will continue to grow. She's one of those special kinds of people who has a effect on a bunch of people beyond immediate impact. The kids will be okay with her out and I know they'll be waiting for her to get back.

Once I was home I find a little red bag sitting on the table. A piece of paper with my name on it sat in front and I look at it weird. I open the package to see a scrap book inside. In the scrap book was good luck letters from the kids at school for the Olympics. They drew me pictures and made little bracelets. It was honestly adorable.

On the back page was a letter from Emmy telling me how proud she is and how she wouldn't wait for this journey together. And I couldn't agree more.