Perk. 22

Emilia

It's kind of crazy how we can touch the life of others. People who were once strangers become family, people we think it makes no sense to hang out with becomes best friends. In my life I have found the most wonderful times with people who on paper doesn't make any sense to connect with me. But when you're with these people that fate somehow put together there is no denying that you belong.

My grandpa and Jonny hasn't known each other very long. But thier bond is strong and it is bigger than time. They bond over fishing and history and really bad jokes that only they find funny. They have bonded over the love they feel for me and Kenny and now Jasmine. In just a few months my little family of two is now a family of five and it doesn't seem like it's going to stop. But soon, and maybe sooner than we hope, my grandpa won't be here anymore and we are going to have to figure out how to live without someone who has touched all our hearts.

Before he can go Jonny insists he comes to a game. I know I had been against it but my grandpa has always wanted to come to a Blackhawks game and it's not like he has many opportunities left with it being the post season and not knowing how long they will be here. So I agree to bring our little clan out to a game, sit in the handicapped section with grandpa and cheer on our boys. Jonny gets my grandpa and the kids his jersey while I got a over sized sweater because I'm always cold and need layers on.

Getting grandpa out of the assisted living home was tricky. With his health declining they didn't want him to go anywhere. So we just went for a walk like we do every time we visit. Just a very long walk.

"I feel so alive" my grandpa claims as I wheel him into the United Center.

"Only took you 97 years" I tease.

"I've always wanted to come here. And to actually know someone on the team is even better" he says.

"Please say that last part a little quieter. I don't want to draw any more attention to us. You're a escapee and I don't want Kenny and Jasmines live to be some kind of public spectacle once they find out our whole situation" I defend.

"People are going to find out eventually. I mean.. you're moving in together" he says in a hushed tone.

"They will find out. Eventually, and it will be no thanks to you" I remind him.

"I don't get why you wouldn't tell everyone you're dating. Rub it in the faces of all the people who think they're better than you" he claims.

"Love knows no vengeance. And it needs no justification. I didn't fall for this part of him" I say.

"Sure. But it is a perk" he defends.

"It is. To witness history in a way they are doing it is a honor. And I'm happy to finally be at a game" I insist.

"That makes two of us" he agrees.

We find Jonnys parents and take our seats. We weren't with the other families which put me at ease. We've only had Jasmine for a few days and she's still settling in. She's shy and this is a big change. She doesn't know what the future holds but she knows she's safe. Everything is just new to her and she's adjusting. I want it to be as easy as possible for her so she's moved right in with Jonny as Kenny and I get our stuff over. I told her she didn't have to come tonight but she wanted to. It hasn't been pretty but she's getting there and Jons parents really got her to open up so she will be just fine.

Kenny sits in grandpa George's lap and he and Jon's dad Bryan get to talking. My grandpa was great at small talk, always had something interesting to say. He knows this is a bucket list kind of thing so he was going to soak up every second. I was just happy to be a part of it.

"Miss Emmy look" Jasmine says as she points out to the ice. I see Jon standing in the ice tapping the glass trying to get our attention.

"Kenny" I say as I tap his shoulder. I point to Jon who starts to wave the kiddos over. So I grab them and walk them down to ice level because I didn't want them to get taken or something.

Jon flips them both a puck and the kids excitedly retrieve it. The smiles on their faces as big as I've seen them as they turn to Jon. He knocks on the glass one more time before skating off.

The kids rush off to show Andreé and Bryan their newest collectibles. I stand next to my grandpa just happy he gets to be here with them for their first game too.

"Your grandma would have loved this" he tells me as I let out a soft sigh.

"Yeah. She would of. I wish she could have met the kids, Jon. I already know what she would say. "See Em, I told you that you would figure it out one day. Make a family and find true happiness. The kind that can't be taught in schools." She was always wise like that" I admit.

"I know I didn't give you the most extravagant life, but I'm happy to share a pretty good one with you never the less" he claims.

"You mean the world to me, you know that right" I ask.

"Well I'm all you had for while" he teases.

"You were. And that was enough to make me happy" I assure him.

"Well I'm glad we have this. I know I'm old and I've done a lot, but these fleeting days we have together, though they're numbered, are some of the best times of my life. Seeing thier reactions to getting that puck, seeing Jon look up here happy as ever. I'm not sure words will do justice the pride I feel, the relief I have knowing that my life amounted to something" he claims.

"I'm glad we got to do this. I know you grew up in that good old fashion hockey but this is as close as you'll get" I tease.

"It's perfect" he smiles.

The Hawks beat the Wild and I let the kids stay for the three stars of the night. It was getting late so I knew if I got grandpa back much later I might get in real big trouble. So we load up and I drop him off. I apologize to the front desk lady and promise it won't happen again.

Maybe.