Heal .48

Emilia

It's not very often we get called into a teachers meeting at six am. And when we do it's usually not good meaning another program is getting cut or one of the kids was at the wrong place at the wrong time and was killed. I can't remember these meetings ever ending well. So I sit in the back with my friend who was Kenny's teacher and I pray that this isn't something that's going to somehow make life even harder for these kids. They're already at such a disadvantage what more can they handle? All we need is the food going bad again making the kids sick or someone bringing a gun to school.

Principal Johnson comes in and we all quite down. She stands in front of us as happy as I have ever seen her. Couldn't tell it was six am from the look in her eyes.

"Hello everyone. Thank you so much for meeting on such short notice. I promise I won't keep you long but I know you'll be leaving here smiling" she claims. That'll be a first. "Late last night I was informed that we got a anonymous donor for this district. As we all know we haven't had a donor in decades and this district has been all but pushed to the side. No matter how hard we fight we never seemed to get a break. You guys suffer, the kids suffer, we've lost so many great teachers because of it.

But as of last night a very generous person or company said they were going to give each school in this district $500,000 and this morning the checks were written" she explains.

A bunch of gasps fill the air as people start the side chatter again. It almost seemed too good to be true, this place has seen few bright spots. It's hard to believe that this is real.

"What's the money for" Mr. Cook asks.

"Book, desks, paper, PE equipment, art supplies, music instruments, better security, just about anything we will need" Mrs. Johnson says.

I smile big as I shake my head. I had been praying for this for so long and it's actually happening. A break that allows these kids to finally have something to look forward to.

After answering a few more questions Mrs. Johnson lets us go. Before I can get out the room she pulls me to the side. She waits for everyone to leave before asking her questions.

"You wouldn't know anything about this would you" she asks.

"No, not at all" I shake my head. "Why?"

"Well whenever something good happens to this school it's usually because of you. Every award and achievement has come from your classroom so if it was some grant or scholarship I figured you would know" she claims.

"I have no clue where this is coming from" I insist.

"Alright. And one more thing... the donor left you a note. It's in your mailbox" she tells me and my eyes go big.

I go to the office to check my mailbox and low and behold it was sitting there. I grab it and quickly retreat to my room to read it. It doesn't take any time for me to get it open and pull out the letter.

"Dear Miss Emilia,

I know you're probably going to be mad at me for keeping this from you but it had to be under wraps in the chance I couldn't pull this off. If you haven't figured it out by now I, Jonathan Toews, am behind this and it's in great part to your grandpa. He didn't just leave me papers and memorabilia but he left deeds and ideas. Plans for a better future. So I looked into what he was doing and I knew I wanted to continue it.

So I started the George and Agnes Ephemeral Foundation in memory of your grandparents. A non profit organization made to get money to the schools who need it. I didn't want to tell you and it not work out and I let you down. I never want to let you down. But as it turns out starting a organization is hard and your grandpa left quite a few holes. But I was able to fill them and now hopefully you guys will get the help that you need.

Please don't be mad at me. I wanted to tell you so many times but I was so scared. If this didn't go through it isn't just you I'm letting down but kids like Kenny, the other teachers. So many people. But now it looks like we got it all figured out.

Here's to a brighter future. I know you don't need new books and projectors and stuff to make a difference. You do it all your own. But imagine what you'll be able to do now. Think about what this will do for the kids now that they have resources and opportunities to try new things. Good luck with out there and see you soon.

Much love,
Jonny."

I quickly tuck the note in my desk and pull out my phone. I dial Jon's number and excitedly call him.

"Please don't yell at me I'm sensitive" he starts as I roll my eyes.

"You have a lot of nerve talking so high about me all the time then pulling something like this and not letting anyone know it was you" I accuse.

"Well I told you" he tries.

"Not the point. You just changed the lives of so many people. Ken and Jas, they have a better chance of doing well in life because of you. All those kids do. You just made my life so much easier and saved jobs. Jon this is incredible" I insist.

"When I was at your school the other day I was trying to imagine being a kid in their position. Trying to learn in broken desks listening to recording that sounded like they were from George Washington himself. I knew the fact you were able to do what you did with that was nothing short of a miracle. I wanted to give everyone a a better chance to succeed. That was your grandpas dream too. And now thanks to him the school district is headed in the right direction. They have the ingredients and now it's time to cook" he claims.

"That was a cheesy metaphor but I'll let it slide because you just did something amazing. I hope one day I'll be able to make sure everyone knows who to thank" I insist.

"Maybe someday. Right now it's time to heal, no need to thank me yet" he says.

"Well I'm going to anyway. Thank you Jon" I smile.

"You're welcome Emmy" he replies.