Sick .62

Emilia

In my years of teaching I never really missed a day of class. I would vacation in the summer so I haven't taken any days off. Grandpa was a short 30 minutes away so whenever he was sick I would be with him whenever I wasn't at school doing the best I can to help him. I myself never took a sick day for I usually pushed through and just made sure I didn't come into contact with my kids. It takes a lot to make the progress I make and not a lot to ruin it. A lot can be undone in a day of me not being there. So I try and make sure I'm here for my kids. Especially out of a break like this when I've already been away for so long. It's going to take some time to get the kids back into school mode so there's no time to waste.

But Ken comes down with a bad virus that looked like he had to wait it out. He wasn't making it to school but his sitter was back in class herself, there's no way she can watch him. He's too young to be left home alone but I also didn't feel right leaving thirty kids behind to tend to the one. He was going to be okay but he needed rest and fluids to kick this thing.

So I sit by his bed trying to figure out what to do. I run my fingers through his hair the best I can wracking my brain so I could do what was best.

Jon comes in and sits down next to me. A soft sigh passes his lips as he looks Ken over. "Has his fever broke" he wonders.

"It's a little over 101 so it's better but he's still burning up. I'm trying to get him to drink but he sweats it out almost immediately. I feel awful" I sigh. Being a empath is fine until situations like this where you can almost feel the pain he felt and there wasn't anything I could do about it.

"Poor guy. Maybe let him rest some more and when he wakes up he takes a cool bath and tries to eat something to get his strength up" he suggests.

"Okay. I can call in and tell the school I'm not coming. I don't want to miss any opportunities to help those kids but Ken is my kid too" I say.

"No, baby it's okay you can go. I can handle Ken" he tries.

"You have practice" I remind him.

"It's optional. With the Olympics next month and the games starting to slow down Q isn't making us show up. It'll be fine" he promises.

"Are you sure? I don't want you to get sick too" I sigh.

"I'll be okay. So will Ken" he assures me.

A soft sigh passes my lips as I turn to Ken. I know me staying wasn't going to get him better any sooner but I couldn't help but worry. He was my little man and he wasn't feeling great. Jon can handle him but I have that motherly feeling that I need to know that he is going to be okay.

"I want hourly updates" I tell him.

"I'll send pictures and everything" he promises.

I give Jon a kiss before quickly changing and heading to school. I keep my phone on me at all times just in case something happens. A few kids in my class were under the weather too. It's honestly just that time of the year and I get my flu shot and keep my room clean as can be to try and stop the spread of stuff. But kids get sick, it's the way it goes.

After a long day I head on home to tag team Jon so he can go get ready for the game. Unfortunately Ken and I wouldn't make it to the UC because with a fever it means he's still contagious and it would be irresonsible to take him. No matter how much he begs me.

"What do you want for dinner sweetie" I ask as I kneel next to his bed.

"I want to go to the game" he tells me.

"I don't know that recipe" I tease.

"How about... pizza" he tries.

"I can order some pizza and wings too. Then we can watch the game on tv in our jerseys and it'll almost be like we're there" I say.

"Okay" he smiles. The first smile I've seen in two days.

So I help him slump out of bed and change before heading to the couch. I order us some pizza and wings and make sure I hide the boxes from mr health guru before he gets home. We sit on the couch and tune to NBC for a nice Wednesday night rivalry game against the Blues. These were always good games and I was sad we couldn't be there. But I have all the faith in the world Jon can hold his own without us.

"Would you still love me if I grew up and played for the Blues" Kenneth questions and I laugh.

"Of course baby. You could play for anyone and I will buy your jersey and cheer you on. I just might have to cheer a little quieter when you play the Blackhawks" I joke.

"I hope I can play for them. I can be a captain like dad and actually be able to lift the cup this time" he claims making me laugh. He tried so hard when we were up in Canada to lift it by himself. Thought he was gonna be crushed until Jon came and helped him.

"You will one day. You'll be big and strong and if you work hard, never give up, keep your head on straight then nothing can stop you" I assure him.

The Hawks end up winning and Ken was feeing a little better. He had slept most of the day so I let him stay up until Jon was home. He brought him a game puck to add to his amassing collection he had going in his room. Ken couldn't have been more excited.

We get him to bed and Jon prays with him. I watch happily from the door because I knew Jon's stance on praying and he only does it with Kenny. It was something they had that was special. And one day when Ken gets older he won't want Jon tucking him in or to pray with him. But for now we appreciate these moments and pray that Ken feels better tomorrow.