Firsts. 14

Emilia

After going 21-0-3 to start the season Jonny's team loses two in a row. Granted the statement to the whole sports world was already made and the teams were put on watch it still sucks they lost. Honestly believed they would go all 48 games never losing in regulation. But all good things must come to the end and these guy were still human, just maybe super human now.

It comes time for spring break and they get back into the win column in Columbus before heading out to Dallas. We follow Jonny around as he showed us where he plays and his favorite restaurants to eat at and we end up at a nice Texas barbeque place. Whenever I travel I usually leave the United States so I can't say I've been to many places outside of Wisconsin and Illinois so this was all new to me and Kenny. But we were both excited to see the country and experience real southern food.

"I want a cowboy hat" Kenneth claims as he jumps up in his seat next to me. Almost everyone in here had on a cowboy hat and I have to admit they were pretty cool.

"On the way out" I assure him.

"Maybe I'll be a hockey player cowboy when I get older" he tries as I start to chuckle.

"That... that will be something" I admit.

"It's good to be the first. You shouldn't want to be like everyone else" Jonny tells him.

"We're you the first" Kenneth asks oh so innocently.

"First what exactly" Jonny chuckles. That was a pretty open ended question.

"First anything" Kenneth shrugs.

"Hockey is a storied sport, and Chicago is a original six team. Being the first is hard. But I was the first person to win a gold, the Conn Smyth and Stanley Cup in the same year in Blackhawks history. And I was the first 20 year old to captain this team. In a way I guess there was quite a few firsts for me. But being first isn't as important as making sure that there will people after me who finds success on this team. My legacy is more than what I've done but more about what I was able to do for others" he explains.

I smile to myself because most people who has had the kind of success he has, who was responsible for the firsts like he has, they don't think like that. There's a sense of settling, where they can fall back on what they have done. But what they have done is nothing compared to what they can do. Few people recognize that. Jonathan understands his role in life as a leader and he has taken it to heart. And he is leading not only one of the best hockey teams this world has ever seen but kids like Ken who want to be cowboy hockey player.

We finish up a nice southern meal before taking a little stroll. No one down here will bother us, even if they were the best sports team in the world right now. Texas is a place of its own so no one will be bothered by us walking around.

Jonny and I hold Kenneth's hands as he walks between us. We swing him a few times as he cheers every time his feet leave the ground. It was small things like this I hope he remembers for the rest of his life. Coming to a different part of the country and feeling the same amount of love as always.

I make them take a bunch of pictures before it was time to get Jon back to his people. The guys would start asking questions and I'm not so sure how well we would be able to pull this off the rest of the trip if they get suspicious this early. But before he goes to his room he promised to tuck Kenny in. So he does so and even prays with him. I know Jon isn't religious but the fact he was putting his faith in that little boy meant a lot. I kiss Kenny on his forehead before closing the door and letting him be.

Jonny and I walk to the front door of the hotel room and stop in front of it. He turns to me with sad eyes and it broke my heart. Sometimes he's hard to read other times his eyes tell everything. This was one of those times.

"Baby what's wrong" I ask softly as I rest my hand on his arm. I can feel his warm skin under my cool hand as I pull him closer.

"I want to stay here, with you guys. Leaving is always impossible but for some reason tonight is extra hard. Maybe I can spend the night" he tries.

"Jonny you know you can't. It's against rules for you guys to stay anywhere besides where the team put you. You would get in trouble" I remind him.

"The only trouble I am finding right now is saying goodbye to you" he claims as he holds my hand.

"I'm right here, just for you. I could be anywhere in the world but I chose to be here with you. I'm not going anywhere" I promise.

"We're in a world of firsts, maybe it'll be okay if I break the rules for once" he claims.

"Or you can make a good decision and be the leader everyone needs you to be. Starting by leading by example. Then when we get back to Chicago I can have Ken spend the night at his friends house and we can have our first sleepover" I smirk.

He raises his eyebrows at me making me giggle. "Okay Miss Emmy. I'm going to remember this promise. But it won't make me miss you any less right now" he claims.

"You will be fine. When you wake up we will be ready for breakfast and we can hang out then. For now the best things for us is to be apart until we can be together again" I insist.

"Fine" he mumbles. "But I want a Goodnight kiss."

I just roll my eyes before pulling him as close as possible. I press my lips to his as his fingers dig into my back. My feet lift off the ground a little making me smile.

As we break apart I look back into his eyes I realize they were no longer dark and stormy. They were calm and bright and it made my heart happy.

"Thanks for coming out here. It means a lot to share what I love with the people who mean everything to me" he says softly on my lips.

"As far as firsts goes this is one of my favorite" I promise him.