Butterflies .47

Jonathan

25 years ago God gave a gift to this world. And her parents couldn't see what a gift she was. It wasn't long before they gave up on her before they could see just how special she was. She barley came to know who she is or what she wanted to be before she got dumped off at her grandparents. And I know she doesn't talk about her parents a lot but I can't help but despise them. I try and wrap my brain around the idea of leaving a kid behind like that. Whether it be her or Ken it just doesn't make any sense. How a parent could leave thier kid behind, never knowing what wonderful things they'll do. Not seeing how blessed they are to have these kids in their lives.

But I can't be too worried about that today. I had a surprise party planned for dinner tonight and I was trying to stay tight lipped. Though she's always so focused on everyone we probably could have told her and she would still be surprised because she forgot. I mean she's the rock of this family, the level headed one in this relationship and is responsible for the lives of dozens of kids. She does it all and today we are going to celebrate her.

So she goes off to work and I pick up everything I needed for to her party. I got a cake and matching party hats and some stuff for the kids. My parents were in town and I invited a few friends from the school she works with and the girls from the team. She has made a impression on a lot of people in her life and that means a lot. A person this wonderful deserves a nice day.

Once she gets done with school I have the kids keep her preoccupied. Ken got her some new games for game night so they were breaking those in. Jas got her some cute clothes and jewelry she will get to wear tonight. I have yet to give her the gift I got for her but it'll come in due time. For now I'm working on having a perfect evening.

At five I pick her and the kids up and we go to her favorite restaurant. People have been there for about thirty minutes getting settled. I pull into the parking lot and grab my beautiful girlfriend from the passenger side. I lace my fingers in my mind as we walk in the door. A smile on my face as I stare down at her.

"Have I told you how beautiful look tonight" I ask softly and she giggles.

"A few times yes. But I never get tired of hearing it" she admits.

We walk in and the kids open the door. Emmy starts to laugh as we get inside. "The lights are off" she notices.

"Yeah. Wouldn't be much of a surprise if they were on" I admit.

The next second the kids flip them on and everyone jumps up yelling "surprise" all together for the most part. I'm sure a lot of people have gotten into the drinks already so a few were a little off but it's the thought that counts.

"Oh my god. No way" she squeals as she looks around. I see tears in her eyes as she takes it in.

"Happy birthday baby" I say softly as she turns to me with a smile. She pulls me into a quick kiss before flashing that incredibly sexy smile of hers.

I let her go off and say hi to everyone because she wasn't leaving here until she's talked to everyone. Thanks them personally and probably tries to give them something. Who knows with her?

As she walks around I grab my gift for her. It took me a lot of time to figure this out and I really hope she liked it.

Eventually people sit down to eat or drink and meet new people or catch up with old friends. I pull Emilia to the side to give her the gift I got because I wanted this moment to be intimate.

"I can't believe you did all of this for me" she sighs.

"Is it really that hard to believe" I gasp.

"No. But I never really had a birthday party before. It was usually just me and the grandparents. We would bake our own cake and my gifts were usually something for school or clothes or nothing fancy. Never something like this" she insists.

"You've never had a birthday party" I ask softly.

"No. I guess I haven't" she shrugs.

"Well I hope this one makes up for many of the ones you missed" I insist.

"It's wonderful Jonny. Thank you" she smiles.

"I wanted to give you your birthday gift before we go back out there" I insist.

"Wait, this whole thing wasn't the gift" she questions.

"No. This was more like a show of admiration than anything. The gift is more interpersonal than that" I insist.

"Oh" she she says softly.

I pull out the long black jewelry box and her eyes go big. She takes the box from me before running her fingers along the leather outside. "Jonny I don't want you to spend a lot of money on me" she tries.

"This isn't about the money. There isn't a price you could ever put on my love for you because it's infinite. This is just a little something to help you remember that" I insist.

She opens up the box to reveal a gold necklace with five butterflies on it

She opens up the box to reveal a gold necklace with five butterflies on it. It wasn't flashy but it wasn't cheap either. Something she can wear to work and to a fancy dinner.

"Jonny this isn't real gold" she tries.

"That's not the point" I argue.

"Then what's the point" she questions.

"There is five butterflies on there. One for your grandma, your grandpa, for Jas and Ken and me. It's five people who you love and love you more than anything. The butterflies represent how you changed us for the better. We were just caterpillars when we met you. You helped us grow, taught us that change isn't scary, it's beautiful. And thanks to you we can spread our wings and fly. You helped us become beautiful butterflies. And as you touch more people we can add more. Then you can just look down and see how many people truly need you" I explain.

"This... is the sweetest thing anyone has ever gotten me" she whispers.

"You're the most beautiful butterfly of all" I insist taking the necklace out.

I put it on her neck and she looks down at it. She smiles big before turning to me. Her lips quickly find mine as I hold her waist.

"I love you so much" she insists.

"I love you most" I promise.