Special. 7

Jonathan

I get back into Chicago just in time for Valentine's Day. And to be honest with you I didn't know what to get the girl that I really liked but doesn't seem to want anything besides world peace. It's not like I can find that lying around in a store. Even if there was a price on it I sure couldn't afford it. But I feel deeply for her, that much I know. And I want to show her that some way some how.

My bright idea was to take her ice skating for the holiday. There was still winter wonderfest at the pier and even though Christmas was over the snow was really just beginning. So I pull on a pair of dark jeans and a burgundy sweatshirt. I add cologne and some gel to my hair before I was ready to go. I meet Emilia there after she sends off Kenneth with a friend he made at school. They do the games around here with the kids' parents while I get Emmy her own skates. I lace them up before doing my own laces. She places her hands in mine as I help her up off the bench. Slowly but surely we make our way to ice where she leans on the boards.

"I didn't know you wanted me to get a broken ankle for Valentine's Day" she jokes.

"I'm not gonna let you fall. I got you" I promise.

"Alright. But the moment I hit the ice we're leaving" she threatens.

"Deal" I nod.

I get her down on the ice and almost immediately she slips on the surface. Her grip on me tightens as I pick her up. She finds her feet again as she sits in my arms. "I got you" I remind her as she nods. She finds her footing before a sigh passes her lips.

"I've never done this before. This is insane" she admits.

"You're doing pretty good. Try moving your feet like you're walking" I suggest.

She moves her right foot then her left foot before placing her right one back in front. Ever so slowly she glides across the ice. Her grip on my arms stay tight as I let her lean on me. Being in her embrace made me feel all warm inside. Her touch almost made me forget how to skate myself and I've been doing this my whole life. But I really adored this girl, I could see us being happy together for a long long time. That is if I don't let her fall here today.

We get a few laps in before she starts to lean off of me. Eventually I hold her hand and as we go round and round. She keeps up with me and it didn't take long for her to get the hang of it. If I didn't know any better I would say she even liked it.

"I didn't know you can feel so warm out on the ice" she claims while squeezing my hand and I laugh.

"Hard work happens out here. If anything we are too hot when we play" I admit.

"Then why do you wear long sleeves and pants" she questions.

"Well the pants and pads help keep your bones from snapping when a 100 mph plus rubber puck is flying at you. And the sweaters are just aesthetically pleasing. We could just wear the pads but we have the best uniforms in all of hockey and I would be really upset if we changed them" I explain.

"They are pretty cool. And they look comfy" she smiles.

"That they are. Maybe I can get one for you and Kenneth. You guys can come to a game" I suggest.

"You sure that's a good idea" she asks.

"What do you mean" I question.

"For one, a lot of the reason we've been able to work together is because we've stayed under the radar. People aren't harassing you about your romantic life and I can still go to the store unbothered. Since neither of us use social media it has allowed us to keep our relationship between you and me. And I know that if we go much further into this people will find out, but maybe for as long as we can we just enjoy each other between each other. We've been dating for a little less than a month and I don't want to spend our whole relationship trying to be this huge couple. I'm not saying we can't tell friends and family but it might be best if we continue to build our relationships instead of trying to prove it to people. It would be nice to continue to learn about each other in solidarity. Your teammates won't be down your throat and I won't have to explain to my kids why their parents are asking me for a autograph from my boyfriend-" she stops. Her big hazel eyes nearly pop out of her head once she realizes what she said. "I mean..." she trials off.

"I think boyfriend has a nice ring to it" I assure her. The worry melts off her face as a smile replaces it. "And I think you have a point. Relationships in this business is hard as is, spending more time with it just being me you and Kenny sounds great. But I am curious as to what was reason number two is" I wonder.

"I have been trying to watch your games and I'm going to be honest. I'm lost. Kenny loves it. He's starting to learn the name of some of the guys and their numbers. I know he would love a game but I don't know if we're ready to be in the boxes with the other families yet. That's a big deal because they expect us to come back over and over again. I work and Kenny, I don't know for how long he's mine. I just don't want you to have to explain yourself. You know where we stand and I know where we stand. I think for now that's where we should stay" she insists.

"Okay. But can I at least tell my parents. They would adore you" I beg.

"I would love to meet them. Thank them for raising a wonderful young man" she smiles.

"Good" I say.

We come to a stop by the side of the ice so we weren't in anyone's way. My free hand softly cups her cheek as I get lost in her eyes. She had a little sparkle in them today, it was simply beautiful. She lets go of my hand she was holding as she wraps her arms around my lower back. My other hand grabs her other cheek so I can pull her closer. Her lips lightly touch mine and I thought I was going to pass out right there. But before my mind could freak she crashes her lips onto mine causing me to hold her tighter. The feeling of her soft face in my hands was enough to drive me crazy alone. The feeling of her lips on mine was nothing like I ever knew. Like I could do anything and no one would ever hurt me. I've never felt like this before, and it was kind of crazy. I thought I had everything figured out but she always found a way to change the way I think.

We slowly break apart as I keep her in my hands. I can feel my lips pulsing as I open my eyes back up. She bites her bottom lip to stop a smile but I still see it.

"I Uh... I've never kissed someone like that before. Especially not in public. I'm not sure where that came from" she says.

"I am certainly not upset about it" I assure her as she giggles.

"Maybe we should get out of here before we make a scene" she suggests.

"Okay. I have to give you your Valentine's Day present anyway" I insist.

"I said no gifts" she pouts.

"It's our first Valentine's Day together. I want it to be special" I insist.

"First" she smirks.

"Yeah. First" I assure her.

We change out of our skates before we head to my car. I pull a bag out and hand it to her. I got Kenneth a card and some Blackhawks stuff because that's all he wanted. And I didn't do anything crazy for Emmy for she would shun me if I did but I did want to get her something.

She opens up the bag and pulls out some supplies for her classroom. I got her new colorful pens because she color codes everything and a cute little journal for her wonderful ideas she gets randomly at like 2 am. There was fun little figurines for her desk and some supplies for her kids. It wasn't anything crazy but it was gifts she can use to help others so I figured she would like it.

"Oh Jonathan, I love this! It's so thoughtful" she says as she smiles at me.

"Anything for you" I promise.

She sets the bag down before pulling me into another kiss. This one just as passionate as the first one. My hands get tangled in her hair as my breath hitches in my throat. I hope this feeling never goes away.