Friends. 25

Emilia

There's nothing in all of professional sports quite like a game seven. Or so I'm told. I didn't know much but Andreé and Bryan tell me this was the game of the year. The Blackhawks fought back from the brink of elimination twice to play at home tonight and I know how much it means to Jon for us to be there. So we pull on our jerseys and head on out.

The stadium fills up fast and the kids still go down to see Jon before the game. You can't mess with tradition. Again, this is what I'm told but this time by Jonny. The kids come back with their new pucks and get settled in. Jasmine was hungry because she didn't get to eat before we left since she was helping Ken get ready so I promise to grab her a pretzel and a water once the game started.

After waiting in a line that seemed like forever I grab her food. I head back to the boxes but on my way I run right into someone. They bounce off of me and I nearly throw the food across the floor in a effort to save them.

"Oh my god I am so sorry" a soft voice says and I smile. I see a taller girl with long brown hair struggle to keep ahold of her phone in her hand.

"Oh it's no problem. It was my fault, I was in my own world as usual" I chuckle.

"No I was in my phone just zooming through here like I'm the only person who needs to be somewhere. I am so sorry" she apologizes again.

"It's not a problem, really" I promise.

"Ugh I'm such a mess right now" she mumbles.

"I know the feeling. Far more than I would like to admit. But some of the worlds greatest art pieces were considered messy at the time. I guess we just have to chose what to focus on" I shrug.

"That... that is very wise..." she trails off.

"Oh! Where are my manners? I'm Emilia" I say sticking my hand out for a hand shake.

"Amanda. I'm thankful I ran into probably the only person in this building who wouldn't tear me a new ass hole for walking around not watching where I was going" she giggles.

"I'm not one to make a fuss about something like that. Life's full of problems and bumping into someone isn't one of them" I insist.

"Mind telling everyone else that" she teases.

"If everyone listened to me the world would be so boring because there would be no conflict" I chuckle.

"Maybe that's what we need" she says.

"Maybe. But I'm not one to tell others how to live their lives. Guide them? Sure. I'm a teacher it's what I do. But you can't take the hate, the spite out of peoples heart. No matter how hard you try. But if you focus on the good then it makes life a little more bearable" I nod.

"Can we be friends? I know this is upfront but can we be friends" she asks and I laugh.

"I can always use a friend. Especially one who hangs around here. I'm still getting used to the whole "hockey" thing" I admit.

"Oh I can help you with that! My boyfriend plays for the team" she claims and my eyes get big. This got a bit more complicated than I wanted it to.

"Really? Which one" I wonder. She looked young so it was probably one of Jonny's friends.

"Patrick Kane" she says and I try not to let my eyes pop out of my head. It would be his best friend.

"That's really cool! You'll have to give me all the insight into the game" I insist.

"Of course! And I see you got a Toews jersey on. Maybe I can set something up? He's really into philosophy and stuff like that. You guys would get along great" she accuses.

If only she knew.

"I'll take your word for it" I smile.

We exchange numbers before she had to take off to where she was trying to get to. I head back to the boxes and give Jasmine her food before she thanks me. She was probably the most polite 11 year old I know. We start to watch the game and I feel a buzz in my pocket. I see Amanda sent me a text and I smile. I needed some friends and hopefully once things are easier and it's general knowledge what's going on we can watch the games together without a care in the world.

So I know you said that you don't understand hockey but I think you get how nerve wracking this game is.
I think I'm gonna throw up.

I smile to myself as I happily ask see her back.

I don't know a lot about hockey but I've followed this team for a little now. I have the upmost faith they will be able to pull this out.

Well I don't know what you do to be so positive all the time but I need that.

Low standards honestly.

Ah.

We talk for a while and before I know it the game was tied and we were headed into over time. I notice the kids were starting to get tired but they weren't leaving. They wanted to watch the team win and I wasn't about to be responsible for them not being here. They've complete immersed themselves in this culture. Pulled this book loving traveler into it too. This game was ending one way or another and I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with a crabby boyfriend.

"Is it over" Jasmine asks as she peaks through her fingers.

"Nope. But I don't know how much longer I can take this" I admit.

As if on cue the goal horn sounds and the light goes off. I look across the ice and see the Blackhawks team all jumping onto the ice. The biggest sigh of relief passes my lips as I shake my head. They sure kept it interesting.

I collect my kids and say goodbye to Andree and Bryan. We head to the exit until I nearly run into into someone again.

"Emmy" a familiar voice asks and I smile.

"Amanda! We have to stop running into each other" I joke.

"I'll say! I actually wanted to come catch you before you left. Was hoping we could maybe go to breakfast sometime" she says.

"I would love to" I smile.

"Are these... are these your kids" she asks carefully as she points to Jasmine and Kenneth.

"Not technically no but I took them in. The food I had earlier was for Jasmine because she made sure everyone else ate before we left and forgot to eat herself" I explain.

"So everyone around you is super nice then" she accuses.

"We try" I shrug.

"Well it was great to meet you. And we can figure out when and where to go for breakfast" she assures me.

"Can't wait" I smile.