Ruby .63

Emilia

Today was a fun day because a lot of the things we were able to get with the money Jon raised for us came in. We installed the smart boards and the projectors to every room. All the art supplies were unloaded and the equipment put into the gym. We couldn't do the construction until the summer but that's okay. The new books and access to the internet was enough to get these kids started. Teachers are no longer so tied down and have the ability to teach important things and change these kids lives. I just hope they do that.

We sit in the classroom that is labeled home. We fill the book shelves with brand new history and science books that have a lot more to do with what these kids need to know. The old ones are to be recycled, still serve a purpose to something that is needed. The kids decorate their new desks and fill them with new pens and pencils and a book of their choosing. Every kid got new supplies and their own resources so there is no more sharing. They can actually take things home now and be able to continue to expand their mind until their little heart desires.

"Miss Emmy look" one of my students calls as they point to a freshly opened history book. Monica calls me over to show me what she found.

She has the new history book opened to a page with Ruby Bridges and I smile. That was one of my favorite stories in all of history. One filled with heart ache and grief but ends with triumph and happiness. Because of that little girl I get a job here and I get to meet so many amazing people that back in her time I would have never been allowed to meet. And I say back in her time like it was forever ago but she's my parents age, it wasn't all that long ago that Kenny would have never been able to be helped by myself and Jon. It breaks my heart knowing the world was so unkind and for no reason.

"I wrote a story about Ruby once when I was your age. How she inspired me to go into this job, how every little girl and boy deserves a chance at a equal education. She made it so people like you and I get to be together and that's a powerful thing. To put so much pressure on a girl so young, I couldn't imagine. What it takes to change and entire nation to change its mind is a heavy burden. I'm happy you guys will be learning about her, seeing what her and the Little Rock Nine did to assure your freedoms today. We're going to have a great time and I will teach you as much about these kinds of things your little hearts desires. And who knows, maybe one day you'll be in the history books too" I smile.

We finish up unpacking and I decide to put the projector to good use. I stand at the front of the class and show them a little about time management and how to schedule school and sports and make sure they're eating. I know it seems like a bit much but it's important to know how to use the 24 hours in a day. We all have them but the real difference is how we use them.

"There's a surprise for you" Heather tells me as she joins me at the front of the room and I raise a eyebrow.

"For me" I ask.

"Yeah! Come on" she says as she grabs my hand.

She pulls me out to the front of the school where the front office was. There was a big blanket covering the wall right off the doors when you walk in which wasn't there when I got in this morning.

"Alright, which one of you guys broke the wall" I ask my class looking everywhere but mostly Lemond. A foot through the wall had him written all over it.

"Hey now Miss Emmy don't look at me" Lemond tries as I roll my eyes. Can't blame me for jumping to that conclusion.

"Well if it's not one of my kids getting in trouble why are we all up here" I wonder.

Principle Johnson comes out the office and wake to where I am. I pull her into a hug as she hugs me back.

"I asked them to come" she tells me.

"Oh! What's the occasion" I wonder.

"You" she claims as I raise my eyebrows.

"What did I do" I mumble making her laugh.

"Nothing bad. Now that we got the new supplies in we had a little left over money. The donator asked if we could do something special and this is what we came up with" she says motioning to the blanket.

I walk over to it and pull off the tape that was keeping it to the wall. It falls to the floor in one swift motion and I step back to see what it was.

On the wall was a large gold plaque with my grandma, my grandpa and my picture up. It was the last picture I had of the three of us. Under it had their names and a quote from my grandpa about why it's not important to have a lot, but for what you have to go far in life. Morals that made me want to be a teacher and to help this school out and every one like it.

Immediately the tears start and there was no stopping it. When my grandma passed she left money for me to use for myself and the school. Of course I only use that money for the kids but what she doesn't know doesn't hurt her. It was always her intention to get these kids what they needed and I was just a pathway to do so. Even though she was gone she worked to make sure that she was still going to be able to touch the lives of these kids. Now, thanks to grandpa it will keep going long after I have taught my last class. He knew how much this meant to her and therefore it meant a lot to him too. With Jonathan carrying on their legacy these kids and all the kids after will never know of a cold classroom and outdated information.

"Oh it's times like this I hate being a ugly crier" I whimper as principle Johnson laughs at me.

"I'm not a hundred percent sure what all is happening here and your part in it. But the person who donated the money wanted everyone to know that it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for you and your grandparents. And we really appreciate that" she tells me.

"All they ever wanted was to make a better world for the kids. They messed up with my dad, claimed they didn't do it right. But some people in this world just aren't meant to be much of anything. They don't believe that, that's why they always put some much back into the schools. And at this age I agree with them but my parents were raised right then went left. There's nothing they could have done about that. But now they can put their faith in other little boys and girls so they can grow up in a safe environment" I say.

"They did quite well with you" she claims and I smile.

"Thanks. Means a lot" I admit.