Begging. 21

Emilia

With it being the last day of school I finish up with parent teacher conferences. I don't hate these like most teachers do. I rarely have problems in my classroom because these kids know I'm not their enemy and that I'm on their side. We have to work together and sure it isn't perfect. But kids will always be kids, no amount of schooling will change that. They're impulsive and have so much left to learn.

I get through most of the kids before Jasmine and her mom come in. Jasmine was one of my best students and the sweetest little thing ever. Her mom does hair and hers always looks so cute. I always get excited when she walks in with anew hair style and she shows it off. In theory I want my kid to be just like her, curious and open minded. She accepts everyone and knows a great deal about a lot. I know her home life isn't perfect but her mom is trying. I've helped pitch in for food for her and got her clothes a few times before. Taken her home when their car wasn't working and the buses were running late. Her mom does a lot of hair for free for the people who can't afford it but it's just the kind of family they are.

As they take their seats across from me it seemed like a dark storm cloud was above them. Both of their eyes are glassy as they just stare at me. I haven't heard from Miss Johnson for a while which was weird for her. She was usually checking up on Jasmine making sure she had everything she needed. But this is the first I've seen or heard from her in a month.

"It's really good to see you guys here. As always it's been a pleaser to have you with us and I am really going to miss you guys as you go to middle school" I start.

"I need you to take Jasmine" her mom interrupts me and I stop. I look at her as her daughter sat next to her. We haven't even gotten past the intro before that came out but telling from her shaky voice this was urgent.

"What do you mean" I wonder.

"I can't bring her home" she whispers like someone close by shouldn't hear. "She's not safe there and with school out she has nowhere left to go where she will be safe. I need you to take her" she begs.

"Miss Johnson I'm not sure I understand" I admit.

"My boyfriend, he's a bad man. A bad man who does some bad things. I got caught up with him and now I can't get rid of him. I see the way he looks at Jasmine... it makes me sick. I am not strong enough to keep her safe. She's the oldest of my kids, and I truly believe that if she comes home with me I won't be able to save her. You're the only person I can trust. You're the only one she trusts too. I don't want to lose her but I can't sleep at night not knowing that when I get up if she might be hurt in my own home because I wasn't strong enough to protect her.

Please, I'm begging you. Save my daughter" she pleads.

I see Jasmine staring up at her mom with tears in her eyes. That bottom lip quivering letting me know she knew what was going on. That something has been happening and she wants it to stop as much as her mom does.

"I can take her. I don't have a lot of room and I don't know what kind of life I can give her. But I'll keep her safe. She will know that her mother made the ultimate sacrifice to give her a better life. My boyfriend and I will make sure she will be more than okay. Kenneth will see her as a sister. We will watch out for each other, that's what we do" I assure her.

"Oh my god" she cries as she lets it all out. "God bless you."

"And Miss Johnson, if you need help my door is open for you too. You and your other kids are more than welcome to visit and hang out. I know you're asking what you can do to keep your kids safe and you are a strong momma. I want what's best for you as well as Jasmine" I assure her.

"I can't put into words what this means to me. To know my baby will have a good life. It makes my heart swell. Thank you" she insists.

"It's my pleasure" I promise.

I grab a few things from her moms car and let them say their goodbyes outside of mine. Jasmine cries into her mother's shoulders because she knew this is what was best but she loved her momma. I know she did. She was probably scared and feeling alone. I wanted what was best for her and right now that's coming with me.

"Here baby" her mom says as she slips off a necklace. She puts it around Jasmine before holding her shoulders. "I'll love you always. Momma and sissy and bubby are going to be okay. We'll see you again" she promises.

Her mom kisses her on the head before turning to talk away. Jasmine wraps her arms around her moms legs trying to stop her. But her mom beaks free and leaves the car before Jasmine falls to her knees.

I pull her into my lap as she continues to sob. It broke my heart that it came to this but I know this is for the better. It might hurt right now and for some time into the future. But this kid is strong. She will make it.

After Jasmine calms down I grab her and take her to Jonnies where Kenneth was hanging out. I let myself in and Kenneth immediately recognizes Jasmine. They take off to play mini sticks and I find Jonny standing in the kitchen trying to piece together why there is a stranger in his living room.

"Em... who is that" he questions getting straight to the point.

"You want the simple answer or the complicated one" I ask.

"Simple" he claims.

"Jasmine is my kid for the foreseeable future" I tell him. His eyes nearly pop out of his head as he holds on to the island so he doesn't fall over.

"Okay now I need the complicated answer" he admits.

"During parent teacher conferences today her mom came in broken down. She begged me to take her and explained why Jasmine couldn't leave with her. Her situation is bad and if DCFS is involved she might never see her family again. At least this way she can still see her family for a little but be safe" I explain.

"Is you doing this putting you in danger" he questions.

"I don't know, maybe. But I wasn't about to let her go back to a environment where she will slowly be torn apart" I defend.

"You can't just take every kid people push on you" he tries.

"Says who" I ask.

"You don't have the space for another kid. There's great foster families out there who would love to help out" he claims.

"But they don't know Jasmine like I do. And her mom trusted me. No one else. What would I be if I gave my word to her mom then handed her off? Just as Kenneth needs me so does she. I'll have to figure it out along the way" I shrug.

"Why don't you guys stay here" he asks and I look at him weird.

"Weren't you just saying that this was a bad idea" I ask.

"It's not a bad idea just not throughly thought out. There's no way you can fit another kid in your place. I have a extra room and a office I can easily turn into a bedroom. Stay with me and we will figure it out together" he promises.

"I said I was going to take this on, not you" I remind him.

"But you are my girlfriend and whatever you do I do it with you. No matter what happens I'm by your side and we will do this together. I know that you are going to make that little girl feel loved and never feel threatened. You're everything she prays for. I want to help" he claims.

"You already do but Jonny this is a big deal. A kind of deal you can't back out of" I remind him.

"I know. But I truly believe that you and I will do great things together. This is the start" he insists.

"Alright" I sigh. "There's a lot I need to do but I think it shouldn't be a problem getting them to agree to stay here" I laugh.

"And this means you and I won't have to say goodbye anymore" he smirks.

"That's a perk too" I smile.