Ephemeral. 12

Jonathan

I'm a lucky guy because I have had both my parents in my life the whole time. They supported me, took me to all my games and never missed an important one. The only reason I have a Stanley cup and a gold medal and everything else is because of them. Because they raised me not just to be a good player but a good person too, paid an absurd amount of money so I can do what I love and supported me through the ups and downs. Because of them there is a Jonathan Toews, number 19 captain of the Chicago Blackhawks.

But so many people don't have that. Kenneth doesn't have any family right now and he has plans much like I did. He wants to change the world and thanks to Emmy that's possible. Yet Emmy herself didn't have parents of her own. She had grandparents that somehow raised one of the most incredible people this world has ever seen. Sure she might not have needed a mom and dad to turn out fine but I'm sure she wishes she knew them. Knew why they left and never came back.

Today I get the honor of meeting the legend Grandpa George himself. The last living relative Emilia knows exists. Emmy warned me that he's old and he's on borrowed time. Though he might not look it this life has worn on him. He lifted the world up until Emilia was strong enough to carry it on her own. What my parents were for me her grandparents were for her and I was excited to get to know the man who seemed to be beyond his time with the way he thinks.

"Is it weird I'm a little nervous" I ask as we walk though the nursing home.

"Don't be! Great grandpa George is a lot of fun" Kenneth claims.

"Easy for you to say. You're adorable" I tease.

"Yeah" he shrugs. "I guess that's true. But I still can't wait for all of us to be together."

"Me too" Emmy says as she squeezes my hand.

We get to the end of the hall and she knocks on a door that was decorated with a bunch of different things. I see some letters from Kenny up there and older pictures. I find one of Emmy with her grandparents on her 12th birthday blowing out some candles and I smile. I realize that because she didn't have parents who gave her everything didn't meant she had a bad childhood. And the man behind this door made sure of that.

"What's the password" George yells out.

"Ephemeral" Emmy says making me raise a eyebrow. Haven't heard that word before.

"Come on in" George tells us.

So we walk in and Kenneth runs up to his bed. He hops up there before giving his great grandfather a big hug.

"How's my favorite little man" George asks.

"Good! I get to go on vacation with Jonny and Emmy" he cheers. We just recently told him of our plans and he couldn't have been more excited. He hasn't left the city before or been on a plane so this was a whole new world for him. I'm just happy I get to see it with him.

"That's awesome! And how is my beautiful granddaughter" George asks Emmy.

"I'm good grandpa" she smiles.

"You must be the infamous Jonathan I hear so much about" he says as he turns to me. He gives me the best smile he can and it just warms my heart.